Welcome to the Aboriginal Access Services
It is with great pleasure and pride that we welcome you to the traditional unceded Territory of the Sto:lo Nation and to S’olh Shxwleli, “Our Place” or the UFV Aboriginal Access Centre. Within these traditional lands exist 24 member bands. Our aboriginal students include those who self-identify as First Nations status & non-status, Metis or Inuit.
The purpose of our Aboriginal Access Service is to provide easy-access resources and a friendly, home-away-from-home environment to help our students in reaching their maximum potentials. We work to provide cultural and academic support, to help bridge the gap between the University and aboriginal peoples, and to help facilitate the Indigenization of our Academy.
Aboriginal Access Services is located at both the UFV Chilliwack campus at 45190 Caen Avenue in the “400 Wing”, and on the Abbotsford campus in Room A219a, and in the student lounge in A221.
Our cultural events are open to all students, and include lunches, circle meetings, Elder visits and gatherings, workshops, welcoming ceremonies and several other activities on and off campus.
Our services include:
- Advocate for students with other UFV departments
- Make referrals and coordinate requests within UFV and to community agencies and other institutions.
- Provide academic support, tutoring, and liaison with other UFV departments
- Act as a liaison with post secondary education authorities and First Nation organizations.
- Provide information on courses with Indigenous content
- Provide academic and trades program information
- Assists with applications and admissions processes
- Provides information on scholarships and bursaries
Our centres include:
- Videos, books and other resource material with an Aboriginal focus
- Computer workshops and study skill tips
- Computer lab access with internet and email.
Please come in and see us when you can.
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/UFV-Aboriginal-Access/188430104525492