Campus Bookstore, University of the fraser valley
Guidelines to follow
when selecting CoursePack Materials
- Up to 15% of a published work, or the following, whichever is greater. For use of 15-25% clearance needs to be obtained before printing
- An entire newspaper article or page
- An entire single short story, play, poem, essay or article from a book or periodical issue containing other work
- An entire chapter of a book (provided it is 20% or less of a book)
- An entire single item of print music from a book or periodical issue containing other kinds of work
- An entire entry from an encyclopedia, dictionary, annotated bibliography or similar reference work
- An entire reproduction of an artistic work (including drawing, sculpture, painting, prints, architectural works of art, or works of artistic craftsmanship) from a book or periodical issue containing other works
-Up to the whole of an out-of-print book (permission required each semester used – 2 week turnaround needed to create master copy)
- Maximum 5% or an entire chapter of a textbook (books published for the university market only) may be copied and only 50% of the kit may be from textbooks
Incidental Copying: 10% of a publication or entire essay, poem, play, article, or short story. An entire chapter, provided it is 20% or less of a book
Access Copyright recognizes that casual, unplanned photocopying will happen, and is necessary for an instructor to provide timely, previously published material that they discover to include in their curriculum. The spirit of incidental photocopying must remain unplanned and accidental; subordinate to regular photocopying and cannot be premeditated to replace the assembly of a coursepack. It is acceptable to accumulate or discover no more than four articles for incidental photocopying during a semester.
New: Material from most government publications are not covered under the UFV licence. We need to go directly to the government for permission BEFORE printing, which will require some time. Please let me know well in advance if you plan to include any of these publications in your coursepack.
New: If you are downloading articles from websites, permission must be received from the webmaster (in writing) BEFORE the coursepack is printed -- these are considered "transactional requests" and are billed separately.
NOTE: 1. Please make sure that your coursepack original is as “camera ready” as possible with text very clear and words not cut off – this particularly becomes an issue if we have to use other formats for students with disabilities.
2. Please make sure that your coursepack is sent to the bookstore first. It will slow down the process if you send directly to Print Services & as of September 2006, royalties are now 10 cents per sourced page.
If you have any questions regarding coursepacks,
please call Mary grace @ 4532 or email MaryGrace.Grant@ufv.ca