Course Descriptions -- Definitions section:

1) Explanation of Transferability Symbols
2) Guidelines for Transfer to Other Universities and Post-Secondary institutions
3) Prerequisites & Corequisites

Explanation of Transferability Symbols:

BCIT      British Columbia Institute of Technology
CA          Institute of Chartered Accountants of B.C.
CMA      Certified Management Accountant Association of B.C.
CGA       Certified General Accountant Association of B.C.
OU          Open University
SFU        Simon Fraser University
TWU      Trinity Western University
UBC       University of British Columbia
UNBC    University of Northern British Columbia
UVic       University of Victoria
WWU     Western Washington University
College   Most British Columbia colleges
Mun        Municipal Administrators’ Education Council of B.C.
ICB         Institute of Canadian Bankers
Other      See program coordinator for details

Transferability in the Course Description section is constantly being updated. Therefore, it is the student's responsibility to consult either the Provincial Transfer Guide (copies available in Student Services, the library, or on-line at ) for current transfer status.

Transfer for 300/400-level courses may be articulated individually by the receiving institute.

Students are responsible for enrolling only in courses for which they have the stated prerequisite/corequisite(s).

Stated prerequisites may be waived with the instructor’s permission.

( ) Brackets with a course number indicate a previous course for the previous year(s). Previous courses are listed for several years only.


It is possible to begin your university studies at UCFV and then transfer to another university to complete your degree.

If you plan to take UCFV courses with the intention of transferring later, you should apply for one of the following programs (whichever suits your goals most closely):

Note: Although UCFV does not offer individual courses with titles such as “commerce”, “education”, or “forestry” (as well as many other subjects), it is nevertheless possible for you to take appropriate combinations of UCFV arts and science courses to fulfil the first-year and/or second-year requirements in such professional areas. In some areas you can complete two years at UCFV before transferring. Consult a UCFV educational advisor for details. (Students in Arts programs should consult the Arts advisor, and students in Science programs should consult the Science Advisor.)

In many arts and science subjects you can complete a four-year Bachelor degree at UCFV; for others you can complete one or two years at UCFV, and then transfer to finish the degree elsewhere. However, in some disciplines, it will only be possible to complete one year at UCFV prior to transfer.

The transferability of individual UCFV courses to B.C. universities is explained in transfer guides. The B.C. Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT) publishes a guide for transfer students. Reference copies of the transfer guide are available in Student Services, the library, or online at BCCAT also publishes a booklet, Tips for Transfer. This booklet includes a transfer planning checklist, answers questions about transfer and provides many useful hints for transfer students. Copies are available from Student Services or online at the BCCAT website.

If you are planning to transfer to a professional organization, such as Certified General Accountants, you should consult their literature on transferable courses.

In order to do your UCFV course planning, you must be familiar with the degree program at the university to which you wish to transfer. A UCFV educational advisor can assist you in understanding the university calendars, and planning your UCFV courses.

University regulations vary with respect to transfer, but the following guidelines generally apply:

In summary: You can transfer to many different arts, science and professional degrees at other universities. But, you must plan your courses carefully so that they are fully accepted at the receiving institution. Obtain calendars from the university to which you wish to transfer, and seek the assistance of a UCFV Student Services educational advisor for your course planning.

Note: Transferability in the Course Description section is constantly being updated. Therefore, it is the student's responsibility to check in either the Provincial Transfer Guide (reference copies available in the Career Resource Centre of Student Services and the Library) or on-line at Free copies of a booklet Tips for Transfer are available from Student Services.


Prerequisites/corequisites are requirements needed before or concurrent with your registration in the course. It is understood that you may seek the instructor’s written permission if you feel that your experience/knowledge is sufficient to warrant exemption from the stated prerequisite or corequisite. This written permission must be presented at the time of registration.

Even though many university college-level courses have no prerequisite listed, it is expected that those enrolling have university-college level reading, writing, and research skills. If you are unsure of your ability level or want to improve your skills, we suggest you enroll in English 101: Pre-College Composition, or CSM 108: Critical Analysis and Study Methodology, or write the Composition Placement Test. CPT details are explained in the Admissions and Registration section. For details about CSM 108 and English 101, please read the course descriptions.

For more details on support services available, please check Student Services, and the Academic Support courses listed in the Course Descriptions.

Please note: As of the 1999/2000 academic year and calendar, students are expected to present either Math 12 or Principles of Math 12 to meet appropriate prerequisites.

Unless otherwise stated, any B.C. Secondary course used for program entrance requirements or course prerequisites must be completed for full value (4 credits).

Return to Course Descriptions Index