Transferring credit to UCFV

Transfer credit

In general, UCFV will honour courses with a P or better earned by a student at another institution recognized by the University College. Official transcripts will indicate that transfer credit has been granted, and the name of the institution(s). Grades for transfer courses do not appear on the official UCFV transcript.

Normally transfer credit cannot be used for more than 50% of the credits necessary to complete the requirements for a degree, diploma or certificate. This limit may be increased to 75% for a program. Please note that students pursuing a second credential (e.g., a second degree or diploma), are permitted to transfer no more than 50% of the required credits from the previous credential.

Transfer credit allowed for previous work in a particular subject area does not necessarily excuse the student from meeting the prerequisites or other requirements for entry into a course or program.

Recognition by UCFV of studies completed elsewhere does not imply, or in any way guarantee, that the transfer credits will be recognized by another institution.

To apply for transfer credit a student should submit an Application for Transfer Credit to the Admissions and Records office and arrange for an official transcript to be sent showing completion of the courses.

Transfer credit arrangements are published in the BC Transfer Guide, available at Student Services, Admissions and Records, libraries or

Advanced standing

For some UCFV courses, a student may demonstrate mastery of a subject area and be admitted directly to a higher-level course without completing prerequisite or corequisite courses. Advanced standing does not give the student credit for courses bypassed, nor does it preclude the necessity of obtaining credit for courses required by other institutions.

Advanced placement program

Transfer credit and/or advanced standing will be granted to students who complete certain Advanced Placement Program examinations with grades of 4 or 5. These examinations are administered by the College Entrance Examination Board. Transferable subjects are:

APP Examination UCFV Recognition
Art History AH 101 and 102 (6 credits)
Biology BIO 111 and 112 (8 credits)
Calculus AB MATH 111 (4 credits)
Calculus BC MATH 111 and 112 (8 credits)
Chemistry CHEM 111 and 112 (8 credits)
Comp.Gov’t & Politics   POSC lower-level (3 credits)
Computer Science A COMP 150 (4 credits)*
Computer Science AB    COMP 150 (4 credits)*
Economics ECON 110 and ECON lower-level (6 credits)
English no more than 3 credits given, but considered to exceed CPT score of 48
English — Language & Comp ENGL 105 (3 credits)**
English — Literature & Comp one of ENGL 120, 130, 150, 170 (3 credits)**
French FREN 101 and 102 (6 credits)
German GERM 101 and 102 (6 credits)
History — American HIST lower-level (3 credits)
History — European HIST lower-level (3 credits)
Japanese JAPN 101 and 102 (6 credits)
Physics B PHYS 101 and 105 (8 credits)
Physics C (Electricity) PHYS lower-level (3 credits)
Physics C (Mechanics) PHYS 111 and 112 (8 credits)
Psychology PSYC 101 and 102 (6 credits)
Russian RUSS 101 and 102 (6 credits)
Spanish-language SPAN 101 and 102 (6 credits)

*Supplemental self-study work in C must be done before enrolling.
**Maximum 3 credits for both English Language and English Literature.

To obtain transfer credit, official AP score results from the College Board should be submitted to the Admissions and Records office with an application for Transfer Credit.

International baccalaureate

Transfer credit and/or advanced standing will be granted to students who complete International Baccalaureate courses with a grade of 5 or better. Transferable subjects are:

IB examination UCFV recognition
Biology BIO 111 and 112 (8 credits)
Chemistry CHEM 111 and 112 (8 credits)
History HIST lower-level (6 credits)
Mathematics Individual assessment
Philosophy PHIL lower-level (6 credits)
Physics PHYS 101 and 105 (8 credits)

To obtain transfer credits, official IB certificates or diplomas should be submitted to the Admissions and Records office with an Application for Transfer Credit.

Co-operative Education transferable work terms

Co-operative Education work terms successfully completed at a British Columbia post-secondary institution will be eligible for transfer credit, on an individual basis, if they meet the following requirements:

Letters of Permission

Students currently enrolled in a UCFV certificate, diploma, or degree program who plan to take academic work at another institution to count toward their programs should request a Letter of Permission. The Letter of Permission request should be submitted to Admissions and Records well before registration for the course in question. Forms are available from the UCFV Admissions and Records office.

Visiting students

Letters of Permission will be issued only to students in good academic standing (students must meet the minimum GPA required for their program, or maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher if the program does not specify a minimum). Students must ensure that any outstanding fees are paid, and any library holds are cleared.

Students from other post-secondary institutions who plan to attend UCFV as visiting students should contact their home institution for permission. Visiting students to UCFV must submit a UCFV application form, the application fee, and the Letter of Permission (if applicable) from the home institution. A recent transcript is also required if you have taken a prerequisite course at another institution.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition

The Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process offers you the opportunity to have your learning assessed and appropriate credit granted.

At UCFV, there are several methods of documenting and demonstrating that your prior learning is equivalent to that which normally would be acquired through formal study in the public post-secondary system. Presently, the following three PLAR options are available:

1) Transfer credit

Many credit courses which are offered at a recognized post-secondary institution have been evaluated by UCFV already. These courses have been assigned formal transfer credit. The UCFV Admissions and Records office maintains a list of transfer credit arrangements. Refer to the previous Transfer of Credit section for details.

2) Course challenges

These are credits which are awarded through a specifically arranged process, by which you demonstrate mastery of the objectives of a course without actually taking the course. UCFV uses a wide range of challenge methods. The choice of method will depend on the course you challenge. For example, you may be asked to demonstrate your mastery by written exam, written assignment(s), project, oral interview, samples of your work, or other means. Not all UCFV courses can be challenged. Regulations related to course challenge are outlined in Registration, in the Admissions and Registration section.

3) Portfolio assessment

In the portfolio method of prior learning assessment and recognition, you identify, articulate, and document your learning in a portfolio format. The portfolio you prepare must include a short autobiography, a paper outlining your educational and career goals, a description of your specific learning outcomes, and documentation that provides evidence of your learning in the subject area in which you want to be assessed. Your completed portfolio is submitted to the appropriate faculty member for assessment.

To help you prepare a portfolio which is acceptable for assessment UCFV also offers a credit course (ADED 200) in which you develop your portfolio.

The UCFV official transcript will indicate the number of credits derived through the portfolio assessment process. Credits awarded through portfolio assessment will not necessarily be transferable to other programs or institutions.

Normally, no more than 25 percent of the credits required in a program will be awarded for learning which is demonstrated and documented in a portfolio.

This PLAR option presently is available for some, but not all, UCFV courses and programs.

For more details about each of these three options, contact Student Services at (604) 854-4528.

Guidelines for Transfer to Other Universities

You can begin your university studies at UCFV and then transfer to another university or university college to complete your degree.

If you plan to take UCFV courses with the intention of transferring later, you should apply for one of the following (whichever suits your goals most closely):

Note: Although UCFV does not offer individual courses with titles such as “commerce” or “education”, or “forestry” (as well as many other subjects), it is nevertheless possible for you to take appropriate combinations of UCFV arts and science courses to fulfil the first-year requirements in these professional areas. In some areas you can complete two years at UCFV before transferring. Consult a UCFV educational advisor in Student Services for details.

In many arts and science subjects you can complete a four-year Bachelor degree at UCFV; for others you can complete one or two years at UCFV and then transfer to finish the degree elsewhere.

The transferability of individual UCFV courses to B.C. universities is explained in transfer guides. The B.C. Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT) publishes a guide for transfer students. Reference copies of the Transfer Guide are available in Student Services, the library, or online . BCCAT also publishes a booklet, “Tips for Transfer”. This booklet includes a transfer planning checklist, answer questions about transfer, and provides many useful hints for transfer students. Copies are available from Student Services or online at the BCCAT website.

In order to do your UCFV course planning, you must be familiar with the degree program at the university to which you wish to transfer. A UCFV educational advisor can assist you in understanding the university calendars, and planning your UCFV courses.

University regulations vary with respect to transfer, but the following guidelines generally apply:

In summary: You can transfer to many different arts, science and professional degrees at other universities. In order to do so, you must plan your courses carefully so that they are fully accepted at the receiving institution. Obtain calendars from the university to which you wish to transfer, and consult with a UCFV educational advisor in Student Services to assist with appropriate course planning.

Note: Transferability in the Course Descriptions section is constantly being updated. Therefore, it is the student’s responsibility to check on transferability of coursework in either the B.C. Provincial Transfer Guide (copies available in Student Services and the library) or on-line at

Back to General Information index

Calendar home page/index