Transfer credit

In general, UCFV will honour courses with a P or better earned by a student at another institution recognized by the University College. Official transcripts will list the transfer credit awarded.

Normally transfer credit cannot be used for more than 50% of the credits necessary to complete the requirements for a degree, diploma, or certificate. This limit may be increased to 75% for a program.

Transfer credit allowed for previous work in a particular subject area may or may not be applicable to a student’s program, and does not necessarily excuse the student from meeting the prerequisites or other requirements for entry into a course or program.

Recognition by UCFV of studies completed elsewhere does not imply, or in any way guarantee, that the transfer credits will be recognized by another institution.

To apply for transfer credit a student should submit an Application for Transfer Credit to the Admissions and Records office and arrange for an official transcript to be sent showing completion of the courses. A minimum of six to eight weeks is required.

Transfer credit arrangements are published in the online B.C. transfer guide, available at

Advanced standing

For some UCFV courses, a student may demonstrate mastery of a subject area and be admitted directly to a higher-level course without completing prerequisite or corequisite courses. Advanced standing does not give the student credit for courses bypassed, nor does it preclude the necessity of obtaining credit for courses required by other institutions.

Advanced Placement program

Transfer credit and/or advanced standing will be granted to students who complete certain Advanced Placement Program examinations with grades of 4 or 5. These examinations are administered by the College Entrance Examination Board. Transferable subjects are:

APP Examination

 UCFV Recognition

Art History

 AH 101 and 102 (6 credits)


 BIO 111 and 112 (10 credits)

Calculus AB

 MATH 111 (4 credits)

Calculus BC

 MATH 111 and 112 (8 credits)


 CHEM 111 and 112 (8 credits)

Comp. Gov’t & Politics

 POSC lower-level (3 credits)

Computer Science A

 COMP 150 (4 credits)*

Computer Science AB

 COMP 150 (4 credits)*


 ECON 110 and ECON

 lower-level (6 credits)


 no more than 3 credits given

 but considered to exceed CPT score of 48

English — Language & Comp

 ENGL 105 (3 credits)**

English — Literature & Comp

 one of ENGL 120/130/150/170 (3 credits)**


 FREN 101 and 102 (6 credits)


 GEOG 140 (3 credits)


 GERM 101 and 102 (6 credits)

History — American

 HIST lower-level (3 credits)

History — European

 HIST lower-level (3 credits)


 JAPN 101 and 102 (6 credits)

Physics B

 PHYS 101 and 105 (8 credits)

Physics C (Electricity)

 PHYS lower-level (3 credits)

Physics C (Mechanics)

 PHYS 111 and 112 (8 credits)


 PSYC 101 and 102 (6 credits)


 RUSS 101 and 102 (6 credits)


 SPAN 101 and 102 (6 credits)

* Supplemental self-study work in C must be done before enrolling.

** Maximum 3 credits for both English Language and English Literature.

In addition, UCFV will grant unassigned credit for other AP courses with a grade of 4 or 5 that are accepted at other B.C. public universities or university colleges. See the transfer guide at

To obtain transfer credit, official AP score results from the College Board should be submitted to the Admissions and Records office with an Application for Transfer Credit.

International Baccalaureate program

Transfer credit and/or advanced standing will be granted to students who complete higher level International Baccalaureate courses with a grade of 5 or better. Transferable subjects are:

IB examination

 UCFV recognition


 BIO 111 and 112 (10 credits)


 CHEM 111 and 112 (8 credits)


 HIST lower-level (6 credits)


 Individual assessment


 PHIL lower-level (6 credits)


 PHYS 101 and 105 (8 credits)

In addition, UCFV will grant unassigned credit for other higher level IB courses with a grade of 5 or better that are accepted at other B.C. public universities or university colleges. See the transfer guide at

To obtain transfer credits, official IB certificates or diplomas should be submitted to the Admissions and Records office with an Application for Transfer Credit.

Letters of Permission

Students currently enrolled in a UCFV certificate, diploma, or degree program who plan to take academic work at another institution to count toward their programs should request a Letter of Permission. The Letter of Permission request should be submitted to Admissions and Records well before registration for the course in question. Forms are available from the UCFV Admissions and Records office.

Letters of Permission will be issued only to students in good academic standing (students must meet the minimum GPA required for their program, or maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher if the program does not specify a minimum). Students must ensure that any outstanding fees are paid, and any library holds are cleared.

Visiting students

Students from other post-secondary institutions who plan to attend UCFV as visiting students should contact their home institution for permission. Visiting students to UCFV must submit a UCFV application form, the  application fee, and the Letter of Permission (if applicable) from the home institution. A recent transcript and Request for Transfer Credit form is also required if you have taken a prerequisite course at another institution.

Assessment Services

Refer to Access Services section for information about Assessment Services and other access initiatives.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition

The Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process offers you the opportunity to have your learning and work experience assessed and appropriate credit granted.

At UCFV, there are several methods of documenting and demonstrating that your prior learning is equivalent to that which normally would be acquired through formal study in the public post-secondary system. Presently, the following three PLAR options are available:

1) Transfer credit

Many credit courses which are offered at a recognized post-secondary institution have been evaluated by UCFV already. These courses have been assigned formal transfer credit. The UCFV Admissions and Records office maintains a list of transfer credit arrangements. See Guidelines for transfer  below, for details.

2) Course challenges (75% course fee)

These are credits which are awarded through a specifically arranged process, by which you demonstrate mastery of the objectives of a course without actually taking the course. UCFVuses a wide range of challenge methods. The choice of method will depend on the course you challenge. For example, you may be asked to demonstrate your mastery by written exam, written assignment(s), project, oral interview, samples of your work, or other means. Not all UCFV courses can be challenged. Regulations related to course challenge are outlined in the Course Challenge section of this calendar.

3) Portfolio assessment (75% course fee)

In the portfolio method of prior learning assessment and recognition, you identify, articulate, and document your learning in a portfolio format. The portfolio you prepare must include a short autobiography, a paper outlining your educational and career goals, a description of your specific learning outcomes, and documentation that provides evidence of your learning in the subject area in which you want to be assessed. Your completed portfolio is submitted to the appropriate faculty member for assessment.

To help you prepare a portfolio which is acceptable for assessment, UCFV also offers a credit course (ADED 200) in which you develop your portfolio.

The UCFV official transcript will indicate the number of credits derived through the portfolio assessment process. Credits awarded through portfolio assessment will not necessarily be transferable to other programs or institutions.

Normally, no more than 25 percent of the credits required in a program will be awarded for learning which is demonstrated and documented in a portfolio.

This PLAR option presently is available for some, but not all, UCFV courses and programs.

Credits obtained through prior learning do not meet UCFV program residency requirements.

For more details about each of these three options, contact Assessment Services at 604-557-4006.

Guidelines for transfer

You can begin your university studies at UCFV and then transfer to another university or university college to complete your degree.

If you plan to take UCFV courses with the intention of transferring later, you should apply for one of the following (whichever suits your goals most closely):

In many arts and science subjects you can complete a four-year bachelor’s degree at UCFV; for others you can complete one or two years at UCFV and then transfer to finish the degree elsewhere.

The transferability of individual UCFV courses to B.C. universities is explained in transfer guides. The B.C. Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT) produces an online guide for transfer students, at BCCAT also publishes a booklet, “Tips for Transfer”. This booklet includes a transfer planning checklist, answer questions about transfer, and provides many useful hints for transfer students. Copies are available from Student Services or online at the BCCAT website.

In order to do your UCFV course planning, you must be familiar with the degree program at the university to which you wish to transfer. A UCFV educational advisor can assist you in understanding the university calendars, and planning your UCFV courses.

University regulations vary with respect to transfer, but the following guidelines generally apply:

In summary: You can transfer to many different arts, science, and professional degrees at other universities. In order to do so, you must plan your courses carefully so that they are fully accepted at the receiving institution. Obtain calendars from the university to which you wish to transfer, and consult with a UCFV educational advisor in Student Services to assist with appropriate course planning.

Note: Transferability in the Course descriptions section is constantly being updated. Therefore, it is the student’s responsibility to check on transferability of coursework in the B.C. Provincial Transfer Guide available online at

Professional program preparation

You can begin your studies toward a career in teaching, law, medicine, veterinary medicine, dental hygiene, etc., at UCFV.

If you require assistance planning your program, make an appointment with an educational advisor to discuss your program plan.

Contact Student Services:

Abbotsford: 604-854-4528


Back to General Information index
Calendar home page/index

ucfvbttn.gif (926 bytes) For general information about UCFV contact:
Technical questions regarding this web site should be directed to
Copyright © 2000 University College of the Fraser Valley

Statement of Copyright & Disclaimer