Athletics and Recreation
Athletics/Intercollegiate teams
As a member of the B.C. Colleges Athletic Association BCCAA), UCFV Cascade men’s and women’s varsity teams participate in league play against B.C. post-secondary institutions in the sports of men's and women's basketball, soccer, volleyball, and golf. The members of these teams are involved in highly competitive elite athletics leading to the BCCAA provincial championships and the Canadian Colleges Athletic Association (CCAA) national championships. The UCFV rowing team participates in club rowing competitions and Canadian University Rowing Association (CURA) events.
Conditional membership in the Canada West Universities Athletic Association (CWUAA) was granted in 2004.
Should Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) membership be approved in 2005 as expected, UCFV basketball and soccer teams will be competing against Canadian university competition in 2006.
Team tryouts
A talent-identification camp is held for most of the teams/sports in April-May. Final tryouts are then conducted in the late summer into the early part of the fall semester. Prospective student athletes should contact the Athletics department as soon as possible to get connected with the team’s head coach and to acquire the precise team tryout schedule. To participate in any Cascade varsity sport, students must be registered full-time in a credit program (minimum three courses and nine credit hours per semester).
All team members are also members of the UCFV Athletic Association, the fundraising arm of the UCFV Athletics program.
For more information
The UCFV Athletics director has an office at the Student Activity Centre in Building E on the Abbotsford campus, and is available to help students who wish to learn more about UCFV’s Athletics program.
Director of Athletics
Mark Kosak, BPE (Calgary), MPE (Ottawa)
Abbotsford campus 604-854-4583; fax: 604-855-5936;

Credit for Prior Learning
Prior Learning Assessment
and Recognition
The Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process offers you the opportunity to have your learning and work experience assessed and appropriate credit granted.
At UCFV, there are several methods of documenting and demonstrating that your prior learning is equivalent to that which normally would be acquired through formal study in the public post-secondary system. Credits obtained through prior learning do not meet UCFV program residency requirements.
Currently, the following two PLAR options for gaining credit for prior learning are available. For more details about each of these two options, contact Assessment Services at 604-557-4006.
1) Course challenges (75% course fee)
A course challenge is a method of obtaining credits through a specifically arranged process, by which you demonstrate mastery of the objectives of a course without actually taking the course. UCFV uses a wide range of challenge methods. The choice of method will depend on the course you challenge. For example, you may be asked to demonstrate your mastery by written exam, written assignment(s), project, oral interview, samples of your work, or other means. Not all UCFV courses can be challenged. Regulations related to course challenge are outlined in the Course Challenge section of this calendar.
Course challenge process
• Contact Assessment Services or the department head  in a relevant area to
  arrange a challenge assessment
• Register in challenge section at Admissions and Records Registration (A&R) and
  pay the fees.
• Complete the challenge assessment.
• Your grade will then be submitted to A&R and will appear on your official student
2) Portfolio assessment (75% course fee)
In the portfolio method of prior learning assessment and recognition, you identify, articulate, and document your learning in a portfolio format. The portfolio you prepare must include a short autobiography, a paper outlining your educational and career goals, a description of your specific learning outcomes, and documentation that provides evidence of your learning in the subject area in which you want to be assessed. Your completed portfolio is submitted to the appropriate faculty member for assessment.
To help you prepare a portfolio which is acceptable for assessment, UCFV also offers a credit course (ADED 200) in which you develop your portfolio.
The UCFV official transcript will indicate the number of credits derived through the portfolio assessment process. Credits awarded through portfolio assessment will not necessarily be transferable to other programs or institutions.
Normally, no more than 25 percent of the credits required in a program will be awarded for learning which is demonstrated and documented in a portfolio.
This PLAR option presently is available for some, but not all, UCFV courses and programs.
Portfolio assessment process
•Contact Assessment Services for information
• Register in a PLA-In-Progress section (cost is 75% of one 3-credit course, non-
• Meet with Assessment Services to start your portfolio process
• Assessment Services will refer you to appropriate faculty who will act as your
  portfolio assessment advisor
• Complete assessment process with a faculty advisor.  Faculty will submit the results
  of your portfolio to Assessment services.
• Come to A&R to pay for the credits granted (if more than the original 3 credits).
• Review your transcript with A&R to make sure credit has been awarded
Transfer credit
Many credit courses offered at recognized post-secondary institutions have been evaluated for equivalency by UCFV. The UCFV Admissions and Records office maintains a list of transfer credit arrangements.
The official UCFV transcript will list all transferable courses, including grades, and their equivalents at UCFV.
Only transferable courses with a grade of P (D) or better can be applied towards the requirements of any UCFV credential, but failed courses are usually counted in admission grade point average calculations. Normally, transfer credit cannot by used for more than 50% of the credits necessary to complete the requirements for a degree, diploma, or certificate. This limit may be increased to 75% for a program.
Transfer credit granted for previous work at another institution may or may not be applicable to a student’s program, and does not necessarily excuse the student from meeting the prerequisites or other requirements for entry into a course or program.
Recognition by UCFV of studies completed elsewhere does not imply, or in any way guarantee, that the transfer credits will be recognized by another institution.
Transfer credit process
Official transcripts will be reviewed routinely for all degree applicants and students, and upon receipt from enrolled UCFV students in undergraduate programs. Other applicants and students must request transfer credit.
To request transfer credit a student should submit a Request for Transfer Credit to the Admissions and Records office and arrange for an official transcript to be sent to UCFV Admissions
A minimum of six to eight weeks is required for evaluation. Detailed course outlines may be required if no articulation agreement exists.
Transcripts are considered official when they are bearing the institution’s seal or authorized signature, and are in the original sealed envelope from the institution.
A certified translation is required for documents in a language other than English (some exceptions may be possible for documents in French).
Transfer credit arrangements for first and second year courses in B.C. institutions are published in the B.C. transfer guide, available at
Documents submitted become the property of UCFV. Only documents that are considered by UCFV to be irreplaceable will be returned to the student on request.
Advanced standing
For some UCFV courses, a student may demonstrate mastery of a subject area and be admitted directly to a higher-level course without completing prerequisite or corequisite courses. Advanced standing does not give the student credit for courses bypassed, nor does it preclude the necessity of obtaining credit for courses required by other institutions.
Advanced Placement program
Transfer credit and/or advanced standing will be granted to students who complete certain Advanced Placement Program examinations with grades of 4 or 5. These examinations are administered by the College Entrance Examination Board.
Transferability of Advanced Placement courses is listed in the B.C. Transfer Guide at Click on “Online Transfer Guide”, then on “Other Transfer”.
In addition, UCFV will grant unassigned credit for other AP courses with a grade of 4 or 5 that are accepted at other B.C. public universities or university colleges. See the transfer guide at
To obtain transfer credit, official AP score results from the College Board should be submitted to the Admissions and Records office with an Application for Transfer Credit.
International Baccalaureate program
Transfer credit and/or advanced standing will be granted to students who complete higher level International Baccalaureate courses with a grade of 5 or better.
Transferability of International Baccalaureate courses is listed in the B.C. Transfer Guide at Click on “Online Transfer Guide”, then on “Other Transfer”.
In addition, UCFV will grant unassigned credit for other higher level IB courses with a grade of 5 or better that are accepted at other B.C. public universities or university colleges. See the transfer guide at
To obtain transfer credits, official IB certificates or diplomas should be submitted to the Admissions and Records office with an Application for Transfer Credit.
Letters of Permission
Students currently enrolled in a UCFV certificate, diploma, or degree program who plan to take academic work at another institution to count toward their programs should request a Letter of Permission. The Letter of Permission request should be submitted to Admissions and Records well before registration for the course in question. Forms are available from or from the UCFV Admissions and Records office.
Letters of Permission will be issued only to students in good academic standing (students must meet the minimum GPA required for their program, or maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher if the program does not specify a minimum). Students must ensure that any outstanding fees are paid, and any library holds are cleared.
Visiting students
Students from other post-secondary institutions who plan to attend UCFV as visiting students should contact their home institution for permission. Visiting students to UCFV must submit a UCFV application form, the application fee, and the Letter of Permission (if applicable) from the home institution. A recent transcript and Request for Transfer Credit form is also required if you have taken a prerequisite course at another institution.
Transfer to other institutions
You can begin your university studies at UCFV and then transfer to many different arts, science, and professional degrees at other universities. In order to do so, you must choose courses that are fully transferable to the receiving institution. Obtain calendars from the university to which you wish to transfer, and consult with a UCFV educational advisor in Student Services to assist with course planning.
If you plan to take UCFV courses with the intention of transferring later, you should apply for one of the following (whichever suits your goals most closely):
•   General Arts
•   General Science
•   General Studies
•   Associate of Science degree
•   Engineering Transfer
In many arts and science subjects you can complete a four-year bachelor’s degree at UCFV; for others you can complete one or two years at UCFV and then transfer to finish the degree elsewhere.
The transferability of UCFV lower-level courses to B.C. universities and university-colleges is listed in the B.C. Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT) online transfer guide at BCCAT also publishes a booklet, “Tips for Transfer”. This booklet includes a transfer planning checklist, answers questions about transfer, and provides many useful hints for transfer students. Copies are available from Student Services or online at the BCCAT website.
For transfer of upper-level courses, or transfer of courses outside B.C., consult the institution you wish to attend.
In order to do your UCFV course planning, you must be familiar with the degree program at the university to which you wish to transfer. A UCFV educational advisor can assist you in understanding the university calendars, and planning your UCFV courses.
University regulations vary with respect to transfer, but the following guidelines generally apply:
• Students usually complete a full first year (30 credits/10 courses) before
• Grades less than C are not assured of transfer credit.
• A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 (C average) is required.
• Some universities impose quotas on the number of students admitted to certain
  programs. In such cases, grade point averages well above the minimum will be
• Students may not normally transfer more than 60 credits towards a four-year
  degree (residency requirement)
• Transfer credit is always evaluated by the post-secondary institution from which the
  credential is to be obtained. Therefore, if you have credit from a previous post-
  secondary institution, plan to take additional credits at UCFV and then transfer to
  another university to obtain a credential there, the course work at the first post-
  secondary institution is not evaluated by UCFV.
• Some institutions may recalculate your grade point average, including all attempts
  of any repeated courses.
• Universities only give credit for upper-division courses (300- and 400-level) on a
  case by case basis. These courses are not generally included in formal transfer

Changing programs
It is common for students in one program to apply to another program. When planning to do so, make an appointment with an educational advisor in Student Services for assistance. You may need some help with your application, applicability of courses, your transition, and short- and long-term planning.
Contact Student Services in Abbotsford at 604-854-4528 or Chilliwack at
Professional program preparation
You can begin your studies toward a career in teaching, law, medicine, veterinary medicine, dental hygiene, etc., at UCFV.
If you require assistance planning your program, make an appointment with an educational advisor in student services to discuss your program plan.
Contact Student Services:
Abbotsford: 604-854-4528
Chilliwack: 604-795-2808

UCFV Online
Many UCFV course are offered online. These courses allow you to participate as a learner from your home, from the computer lab, from your local library, from anywhere in the world you happen to be.
The curriculum, assignments, and methods of teaching vary, but generally you will find the courses require the same amount of time as a face-to-face course. You are expected to contribute to discussions online, to work collaboratively, and to “pay attention” by logging in at least three times a week.
Courses are taught by UCFV faculty. Check the fall, winter, and summer timetables for online courses (designated ON). These courses may be used to fulfill your program requirements.
In order to participate in an online class, you need a Windows-based or Mac computer, a modem (56K or faster), an account with an internet service provider, and internet browser software such as Internet Explorer. The software used for UCFV online courses is WebCT. This program is easy to use as long as you have computer basics. For those new to computer-mediated courses, workshops are provided at the beginning of each semester. Please see the Important Dates section at for more information about these workshops.
If you have enrolled in a course offered online, visit for instructions to log onto your course. Most courses begin the first day of the semester and you must log on within the first two days or risk losing your place in the course.
UCFV, along with other B.C. post-secondary institutions, is part of the BCcampus initiative to provide online learning opportunities to students. A listing of the online courses that UCFV is contributing to this initiative can be viewed at
http: //
Applied Business Technology, Associate of Arts diploma, Bachelor of General Studies, and Library and Information Technology are offered online through BCcampus. For more information, visit http: //
UCFV Online faculty and staff
Wendy Burton, BA (UVic), MA (Queen’s), EdD (Toronto), Manager
Bryan Wilkinson, CIS Dip (Douglas), Online Support Analyst


Return to General index

Return to Calendar homepage

ucfvbttn.gif (926 bytes) For general information about UCFV contact:
Technical questions regarding this web site should be directed to
Copyright © 2005 University College of the Fraser Valley

Statement of Copyright & Disclaimer