Nursing Unit Clerk certificate
This certificate program is designed to prepare people to work as nursing unit clerks or to upgrade their skills if presently employed as nursing unit clerks.
The goal of the program is to provide students with the knowledge and skills to perform the duties required of a nursing unit clerk.
Graduates will be able to:
1. Grade 12 or equivalent.
2. Strong oral and written knowledge of English. A CPT score of 48 or better or successful completion of ESL course level 80 English may be required.
3. Introductory computer course or equivalent experience.
4. 30 wpm typing speed. (Attach copy of certificate.) '
5. Willingness to undergo a security clearance check.
6. Willingness to obtain inoculations to participate in hospital practicum placement.
7. A 500-word written statement outlining your reasons for wanting to take the program.
8. Interview with instructor(s).
9. Personal suitability recommended skills and
How to apply and register
1. Complete a UCFV application for admission form.
2. Complete a Nursing Unit Clerk application form.
3. Attach all required documentation and return completed registration package to the Continuing Studies office at the Abbotsford Campus.
4. You may be required to take a Composition Placement Test.
5. Once advised of acceptance to the program, you may register. Section fees are due when you register for each section.
6. Applications are accepted and instructor appointments held periodically throughout the year.
$5,100 (subject to change).
All fees which total more than $100 in a calendar year are fully tax deductible.
Financial aid is available from a variety of sources. For more information, contact the Financial Aid and Awards office at either the Abbotsford or Chilliwack campus. A variety of bursary applications are also available from the Financial Aid and Awards offices.
Students will be evaluated for each course in the program on classroom participation, classroom assignments, study projects and practicums, as well as by examination. Students must maintain a grade percentage of 80% and an attendance record of 90% per module. You must successfully complete all theory components prior to practicum placement.
The grading procedure for this program is based on the UCFV grading system policy. Letter grades are awarded for the first theory modules and a credit (Cr) or no credit (NCr) is awarded for the practicum module. Official transcripts are issued upon completion of the entire program.
Students challenging components are required to pay the full tuition fee for that section prior to examination. (Based on the UCFV official policy on course challenge.)
In addition to classroom activities, students will be required to research, study and prepare assignments outside of class for approximately three to six hours per week.
Part-time classes are Tuesday and Thursday evenings and some Saturdays at the UCFV Abbotsford campus. The part-time ten-month program begins in January, with a summer break, and the practicum begins in March.
The full-time program runs between Monday-Friday at the
UCFV Abbotsford campus. The full-time program begins in September, with a
Christmas break, and the practicum begins in April.
Identify organs and structures of the body and
explain main functions of these systems
Communication Skills for the Nursing Unit Clerk
Patient Chart Records
Patient charts and records
Admissions, Transfers and Discharges
Admitting, transferring, and discharging the patient
Pharmacology Medication Orders Part I
Using the compendium of pharmaceuticals
Pharmacology Medication Orders Part II
Describing the process necessary to transcribe
medication orders and identify specific forms
Radiology and other diagnostic orders
Introduction to processing of doctors' orders
Drugs that affect the gastrointestinal system
Nursing Unit Clerk Practicum
Hospital computer systems
For more information
Contact Julie Laursen at 604-864-4626 or 604-792-0025, local 4626, or toll-free (within Canada) 1-888-504-7441, local 4626. Email: email@example.com.
Calendar Home | Program Index | Course Descriptions | Schedule of Events | UCFV Home | UCFV A-Z | Apply Now | Contact Us
Copyright © University College of the Fraser Valley (UCFV), 33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada, V2S 7M8