Search the calendar
   ARCHIVE: 2007/08 Academic Calendar

Transfer to Other Institutions

You can begin your university studies at UCFV and then transfer to many different arts, science, and professional degrees at other universities. In order to do so, you must choose courses that are fully transferable to the receiving institution. Obtain calendars from the university to which you wish to transfer, and consult with a UCFV educational advisor in Student Services to assist with course planning.

If you plan to take UCFV courses with the intention of transferring later, you may apply for one of the following (whichever suits your goals most closely):

• Arts Studies
• Science Studies
• General Studies
• Engineering Transfer

In many arts, science, and applied subjects you can complete a four-year bachelor’s degree at UCFV; for others you can complete one or two years at UCFV and then transfer to finish the degree elsewhere.

The transferability of UCFV lower-level courses to B.C. universities and university-colleges is listed in the B.C. Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT) online transfer guide at BCCAT also publishes a booklet, “Tips for Transfer” available online or from Student Services. This booklet includes a transfer planning checklist, answers questions about transfer, and provides many useful hints for transfer students. .

For transfer of upper-level courses, or transfer of courses outside B.C., consult the institution you wish to attend.

In order to do your UCFV course planning, you must be familiar with the degree program at the university to which you wish to transfer. A UCFV educational advisor can assist you in understanding the university calendars, and planning your UCFV courses.

University regulations vary with respect to transfer, but the following guidelines generally apply:

• Students usually complete a full first year (30 credits/10 courses) before transferring.
• Grades less than C are not assured of transfer credit.
• A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 (C average) is required.
• Some universities impose quotas on the number of students admitted to certain programs. In such cases, grade point averages well above the minimum will be required.
• Students may not normally transfer more than 60 credits towards a four-year degree (residency requirement)
• Transfer credit is always evaluated by the post-secondary institution from which the credential is to be obtained. Therefore, if you have credit from a previous post-secondary institution, plan to take additional credits at UCFV and then transfer to another university to obtain a credential there, the course work at the first post-secondary institution is not evaluated by UCFV.
• Some institutions may recalculate your grade point average, including all attempts of any repeated courses.
• Universities only give credit for upper-division courses (300- and 400-level) on a case by case basis. These courses are not generally included in formal transfer guides.

Professional program preparation

UCFV offers programs in elementary teaching, nursing, and dental hygiene. You can also begin your studies toward a career in law, medicine, veterinary medicine, engineering, etc. at UCFV. If you require assistance planning your program, make an appointment with an educational advisor in student services to discuss your program plan. Contact Student Services at 604-854-4528 (Abbotsford) or 604-795-2808 (Chilliwack)

Calendar Home | Program Index | Course Descriptions | Schedule of Events | UCFV Home | UCFV A-Z | Apply Now | Contact Us 

Copyright © University College of the Fraser Valley (UCFV), 33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada, V2S 7M8