Agriculture Technology/Continuing Studies
Floral Design certificate
This entry-level certificate program offers students in-depth, comprehensive training designed to prepare them for employment in the floral industry. Along with a significant theory component, the program is practical and current in terms of course content and relevancy to the field. Emphasis is on mastering the correct mechanics and basic shapes of floral design using fresh, treated, and dried floral products. Some advanced techniques will also be covered. The 256-hour program consists of seven modules, offered over a 12-week period, and includes 50 hours of practice in the industry.
1. Grade 12 or equivalent, or 19 years of age and out of school a minimum of one year.
2. Strong written and verbal English skills (equivalent to Intermediate/advanced levels in College and Career Preparation).
3. A preliminary interview with the instructor.
How to apply
1. Fill out a UCFV Application for Admission form (no application fee is required).
2. Attach all required documentation and submit the completed application package to the Continuing Education department.
3. All applicants will be interviewed by the instructor. You will be contacted by telephone to arrange for an interview.
4. Once advised of acceptance into the program, you may register. Fees are due when you register.
Note: This program is eligible for the Student Loan program.
Program fee: $2,448.00, supplies approximately $75.00. Text books approximately $150. Note: Fees are subject to change.
Financial aid is available from a variety of sources, including student loans. For more information, contact the Financial Aid and Awards office at either the Abbotsford or Chilliwack campus. A variety of bursary applications are also available from the Financial Aid and Awards offices.
Students will be evaluated for each module in the program on classroom participation and assignments, and by both written and practical examination. Students must achieve a 75% grade and maintain 90% attendance in each module to receive the certificate.
Up to six credits can be applied towards the UCFV one-year Horticulture Crop Production certificate program.
The grading procedure for this program is based on the UCFV grading system policy. Letter grades are awarded and official transcripts are issued upon completion of the entire program.
Students challenging components are required to pay the full tuition fee prior to taking the challenge exam. (Based on UCFV’s official policy on course challenge.)
In addition to classroom and practical activities, students will be required to study and prepare some assignments outside of class for approximately 3–5 hours per week.
This 12-week program runs Monday and Wednesday, 8:30 a.m.–4 p.m., and Tuesday, 8:30 a.m.– 1 p.m. The course also includes a 50-hour practicum in the industry. Upon successful completion, up to six credits may be applied to the UCFV one-year Ornamental Horticulture program.
For more information
Contact Mandy Watts at 604-864-4638 or 604-792-0025, local 4638. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Calendar Home | Program Index | Course Descriptions | Schedule of Events | UCFV Home | UCFV A-Z | Apply Now | Contact Us
Copyright © University College of the Fraser Valley (UCFV), 33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada, V2S 7M8