Applied Business Technology
Applied Business Technology certificate
The Applied Business Technology program prepares students for employment in
today’s office by providing them with business and computer skills.
Widespread use of technology has resulted in the office worker assuming more
of the higher level skill responsibilities traditionally done by managers and
executives, thereby creating a new office “professional”.
Offices in business, government, and industry offer many opportunities for
employment. The expansion of office staff, placement of workers in new
positions, and the growth of industry in the Fraser Valley result in a
continuing demand for well-trained employees.
• B.C. secondary school graduation and
• Successful completion of the Applied Business Technology assessment, which will be used to help determine suitability to the program.
• Keyboarding speed of 20 net words per minute.
• Mature applicants (23 years of age or older) without high school graduation may be admitted on the basis of the Applied Business Technology assessment.
Note: This is a rigorous program. Students need to be physically, emotionally, and financially prepared before beginning.
When to apply
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis throughout the year.
Qualified applicants are considered for the next intake in which there is space.
See Continuous application
process for more information.
How to apply
1. Submit the application fee along with your UFV application for admission form to the Admissions and Records (A&R) office. Application forms are available from any A&R or Student Services office. You can also print an application form from our website at
www.ufv.ca/ar, or you can apply directly through the internet at www.pas.bc.ca.
Additional documents required for a complete application:
• proof of B.C. secondary school graduation or equivalent
• transcript (or interim transcript) showing grade/course achievement as per entrance requirements
• if you are 23 years of age or older, a record of your high school or upgrading marks
2. You will be advised of the date of the next assessment.
3. After the assessment, either your name will be placed on the wait list, or you will be referred for upgrading and later reassessment.
4. When a seat is available, you will be notified.
For more information, contact the program head at 604-854-4559, (Abbotsford), or 604-792-0025, local 4559 (Chilliwack).
Basis for admission decision
Applicants who meet the entrance requirements will be admitted in order of
their application date. This date is set when an application, all required
documentation, and the application fee have been submitted.
Fees and additional costs
See the Fees and Other Costs
Be prepared to spend an additional $900 on books, supplies, printing, parking, etc. Financial aid may be available through the Financial Aid
and Awards office at any UFV campus.
The Applied Business Technology program is offered at the Marshall Road Annex in Abbotsford.
This includes students taking the program through the
Career Technical Centre.
No course may be taken more than twice without written permission of the
The Applied Business Technology program is a full-time, 24-week program, which includes
the three week work experience course. It is anticipated that there will be two intakes a year, probably September and January.
After completing the Applied Business Technology certificate, students may choose one of the eight-week specialty certificate options to enhance their job skills/ marketability. Courses will run only if enrolment meets minimum class size requirements.
These options (Word Processing Specialist or Bookkeeping Specialist) are available for an additional fee after the basic Applied Business Technology certificate has been completed. Call the program head for details.
For complete details on courses see the
course descriptions section.
Contact the program head for more information at 604-854-4559.