Note: Entry is restricted to students with a GPA of 3.5 or
better, calculated on a minimum of 60 credits of coursework applicable to the BA. The program is recommended for
students who intend to pursue studies at the MA or PhD level.
Lower-level requirements: 18 credits
• ENGL 105
• Three credits from ENGL 104, 108, 109, 111, 115, 120, 130, 150, 165, 170
• Six credits from ENGL 204-207
• Six credits from ENGL 209-280
Upper-level requirements: 44 credits
• Eight credits from ENGL 301, 304, 306, 309, 310, 312, 316, 318, 319
• Eight credits from ENGL 323-363, 368, 369, 490
• Twelve credits from ENGL 301-363, 380-382, 401, 403
• Four credits from ENGL 364, 366
• Four credits from ENGL 370-379, 385
• Eight credits, ENGL 491, 492
Note: English honours requires 132 credits, a minimum of 62 of which must be in the English program.
A GPA of 3.5 or higher, calculated on all English courses required for the
honours program, must be maintained until completion of the program.
Students must complete 44 upper-level credits to fulfill the requirement for
honours English. Lower-level requirements for both the honours English and
English major are identical, but students intending to complete an honours
program should be aware that upper-division requirements for the honours English
are specific to the honours program and constitute the following:
1. English 364 [4 credits] (History and Principles of Literary Criticism) or English 366 [4 credits] (Studies in Critical Approaches to Literature)
2. English 370 [4 credits] (The History of the English Language) or English 375 [4 credits] (Rhetoric: Composition Theory) or English 376 [4 credits] (Rhetoric: An Historical Survey)
3. English 491 [4 credits] (Honours Directed Reading) and English 492 [4 credits] (Honours Essay)
Students must demonstrate proficiency in another language. This may be accomplished by completing 6 credits of work with a GPA of 3.0 or higher in the department of
Modern Languages (MOLA) at UFV or by submitting evidence of comparable achievement at a recognized post-secondary institution. The English Honours Committee may, in some cases, determine proficiency by administering a language proficiency assessment with the assistance of a qualified specialist in the language the candidate chooses for evaluation.