This section specifies the major discipline requirements only. Information on additional Bachelor of Arts requirements begins in
Lower-level requirements: 18 credits
• ENGL 105
• Three credits from ENGL 104, 108, 109, 111, 115, 120, 130, 150, 165, 170
• Six credits from ENGL 204-207
• Six credits from ENGL 209-280
Upper-level requirements: 32 credits
Eight credits from ENGL 301, 304, 306, 309, 310, 312, 316, 318, 319
• Eight credits from ENGL 323-363, 368, 369
• Sixteen credits from ENGL 301-490*
* A senior Literature in Translation course may be substituted for one course in this series.
Students completing the upper-level credits in this program will have both depth and breadth in their study of English literature. For students considering graduate work in English, we recommend at least one senior course from as many of the following categories as possible: Chaucer or Medieval Studies; Tudor Poetry and Prose, Shakespeare, or Elizabethan and Jacobean Drama; Seventeenth or Eighteenth Century; Romantics, Victorian Novel, or Victorian Poetry; Modern British Literature or Modernism; Canadian Literature; American Literature; Literary Theory, History of Criticism, or Advanced Composition.