Nursing Unit Clerk certificate
This certificate program is designed to prepare people
to work as nursing unit clerks or to upgrade their skills if presently employed
as nursing unit clerks.
The goal of the program is to provide students with the
knowledge and skills to perform the duties required of a nursing unit clerk.
Graduates will be able to:
Communicate effectively with patients, visitors, and other members of the
health care team
Demonstrate an understanding of the organization, structure, and function of
the various departments of a hospital
Function effectively in a fast-paced environment, often in emergency
Process doctors' orders and requests
Perform clerical duties related to hospital nursing unit and patient records
Identify, pronounce, and spell the names of commonly used hospital drugs
Perform clerical duties relating to the overall care of patients
Perform standard receptionist duties
Have a knowledge of and ability to work within general hospital code of
1. Grade 12 or equivalent.
2. Proficient use of the English language. (See English language proficiency requirement for details on this requirement.) A CPT (Composition Placement Test) score of 48 or better or successful completion of ESL (English as a Second Language) course level 80 English meets the English language proficiency requirement.
3. 30 wpm typing speed. (Attach copy of certificate.).
4. Willingness to undergo a criminal records clearance check.
5. Willingness to obtain inoculations to participate in
hospital practicum placement.
6. Successful interview with program instructors.
7. Personal suitability recommended skills and
patience and composure under stress
concern for the welfare of others
previous hospital experience
ability to work under close direction as part of a health
ability and willingness to do shift work
communication and people skills, diplomatic front-line
Note: It is assumed that applicants will possess basic computer skills.
When to apply
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis throughout the year. Qualified applicants are considered for the next intake in which there is space. See Continuous application process for more information.
How to apply
1. Fill out a UFV application for admission form (available at ufv.ca/admissions/admissions/apply).
2. Attach all required documentation and return
completed registration package to the Continuing Studies office at the
3. Pending seat availability, applicants who have provided complete applications will be contacted by telephone to arrange for an interview. Admission to this program is dependent on a successful interview with the program instructor.
Fees and additional costs
For current program fees, please refer to ufv.ca/continuing_studies/certificate_programs/nursing-unit-clerk. All fees which total more than $100 in a calendar year are fully tax
Financial aid is available from a variety of sources.
For more information, contact the Financial Aid and Awards office at either the Abbotsford
or Chilliwack campus. A variety of bursary applications are also available from
the Financial Aid and Awards offices.
Students will be evaluated for each course in the
program on classroom participation, classroom assignments, study projects and
practica, as well as by examination. Students must maintain a grade percentage
of 80% and an attendance record of 90% per module. You must successfully
complete all theory components prior to practicum placement.
Students challenging components are required to pay the
full tuition fee for that section prior to examination. (Based on UFV's Course Challenge policy.)
In addition to classroom activities, students will be
required to research, study and prepare assignments outside of class for
approximately eight to ten hours per
This full-time program runs Monday-Friday at UFV's Clearbrook Centre in the Fall semester.
Skills for the Nursing Unit Clerk (HLTH NC01)
Terminology (HLTH NC00)
Records (HLTH NC02)
Admissions/Transfers/Discharges (HLTH NC03)
|Pharmacology I (HLTH
|Pharmacology II (HLTH
|Medical Imaging (HLTH NC12)
|Surgical Orders (HLTH
For more information