Applied Business Technology
Applied Business Technology certificate
The Applied Business Technology program prepares students for employment in
today’s office by providing them with business and computer skills.
Widespread use of technology has resulted in the office worker assuming more
of the high-level skill responsibilities traditionally done by managers and
executives, thereby creating a new office “professional”.
Offices in business, government, and industry offer many opportunities for
employment. The expansion of office staff, placement of workers in new
positions, and growth of industry in the Fraser Valley result in a
continuing demand for well-trained employees.
- B.C. secondary school graduation.
- Successful completion of the Applied Business Technology assessment, which will be used to help determine suitability to the program.
- Keyboarding speed of 20 net words per minute.
- Mature applicants (19 years of age or older) without high school graduation may be admitted on the basis of the Applied Business Technology assessment.
Note: This is a rigorous program. Students need to be physically, emotionally, and financially prepared before beginning.
When to apply
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis throughout the year.
Qualified applicants are considered for the next intake in which there is space.
See Continuous application
process for more information.
How to apply
- Submit the application fee along with your UFV application for admission form to the Office of the Registrar (OReg). You can apply online or download an application form at ufv.ca/admissions/admissions/apply. Application forms are also available from any OReg or Student Services office.
Additional documents required for a complete application:
• Proof of B.C. secondary school graduation or equivalent.
• Transcript (or interim transcript) showing grade/course achievement as per entrance requirements.
• If you are 19 years of age or older, a record of your high school or upgrading marks.
- You will be advised of the date of the next assessment.
- After the assessment, either your name will be placed on the wait list, or you will be referred for upgrading and later reassessment.
- When a seat is available, you will be notified.
For more information, contact the department head at 604-504-7441, ext. 4731, (Abbotsford), or 604-792-0025, local 4559 (Chilliwack).
Basis for admission decision
Applicants who meet the entrance requirements will be admitted in order of
their application date. This date is set when an application, all required
documentation, and the application fee have been submitted.
Fees and additional costs
See the Fees and Other Costs
Be prepared to spend an additional $1,100 on books, supplies, printing, parking, etc. Financial aid may be available through the Financial Aid
and Awards office at any UFV campus.
The Applied Business Technology program is offered at the Clearbrook Centre in Abbotsford.
This includes students taking the program through the
Career Technical Centre.
No course may be taken more than twice without written permission of the
The Applied Business Technology program is a full-time, 24-week program, which includes
the three-week work experience course. There are two intakes a year. Students may start the program in either September or January.
||Office Practices and Management
||Web-based Business Communications
For complete details on courses, see the
course descriptions section.
Contact the department head for more information at 604-504-7441, ext. 4731.