Computer Information Systems
Professional Computer Proficiency certificate
The Professional Computer Proficiency certificate is designed for students in
programs or in the workplace who require a good working knowledge of computers
and computer applications. The 9 to 10 credit certificate focuses on a skill set that is most
useful in the business world, to an advanced level. The certificate can include
software applications, networking, hardware, or web publishing.
1. Entrance requirements for the CIS certificate are the same as those for the
BCIS degree. Please see the BCIS
section for complete details. Students who do not meet these requirements might
consider the Computer Information Systems Studies
2. As this is a completion credential, students are not admitted directly to the
program. Students must complete the three certificate courses with a minimum 2.0
GPA, with a minimum grade of C in any individual course, to be eligible for the certificate. Students in other UFV post-secondary programs can complete the courses required for the certificate and apply for graduation.
When to apply
Applications are accepted for entrance to the Fall, Winter,
and Summer semesters. For application deadlines, see
Specific intake application
How to apply
1. Submit the application fee along with your UFV application for admission form to the Office of the Registrar (OReg). You can apply online or download an application form at ufv.ca/admissions/admissions/apply. Application forms are also available from any OReg or Student Services office.
Additional documents required for a complete application:
• Proof of B.C. secondary school graduation or equivalent, or permission from the program head.
• Transcript (or interim transcript) showing grade/course achievement as per entrance requirements.
• An official transcript from every post-secondary institution you have attended. To be considered official, transcripts must be sent directly to UFV from the originating institution; see the Transfer Credit section for details. Unofficial copies may accompany the application form if official transcripts have been ordered.
All courses are offered in Abbotsford and courses are offered in Chilliwack, Mission, and online. Some courses will be offered in the evening for people working full-time who wish to take courses on a part-time basis.
Fees and additional costs
See the Fees and Other Costs section.
The certificate can be completed in a minimum of one semester and a maximum
of three semesters and consists of 9 to 10 credits. Students must complete the
three courses within three years; otherwise, they may need to repeat a course,
as technology changes constantly.
Computer Information Systems
Business Applications and MIS
||Web Publishing -
All credits required for the certificate must be completed at UFV.
This is a completion certificate. Any student who completes the three
certificate courses with a GPA of 2.0 or higher, with a minimum grade of C in
any individual course, will be eligible
for the certificate.
For complete details on courses see the
course descriptions section.