- Anderson, T., et.al. Every Officer Is A Leader: Coaching Leadership and Learning in Justice Public Safety and Security Organizations. Victoria, Canada: Trafford Publishing, February, 2006 (Second Edition).
- Anderson,T., et.al. Every Officer Is A Leader: Transforming Leadership in Policing, Justice and Public Safety. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2000 (First Edition).
- Anderson, T. and Plecas, D. An Employee Survey of Perceived Leadership Competencies. A research report prepared for the Vancouver Police Department, January, 2000
- Anderson, T. and Plecas, D. An Employee Survey Of Perceived Leadership Competencies, A research report prepared for the San Diego Police Department, June, 1999.
- Anderson,T. Transforming Leadership: Equipping Yourself and Coaching Others to Build the Leadership Organization. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 1998.
- Anderson, T. And King, D. Supervisory Leadership Training Needs Assessment. The Justice Institute of British Columbia, 1997.
Please click here for a complete list of publications...
EDUCATOR AND RESEARCHER
Dr. Anderson’s experience includes teaching more than 7,000 adults for nearly 30 years in the areas of communication, problem management and organizational leadership full time at the University College of the Fraser Valley in Abbotsford, B.C. He has also served as an adjunct professor California State University, the California Command College, the Justice Institute of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University,Trinity Western University, Union Institute of Sacramento, the University of British Columbia, and in 2002-2003 taught Executive Coaching in the School of Business at Royal Roads University. In order for the adult learners in his classes to gain leadership competence Dr. Anderson has used scenario-based experiential learning and the “coach-approach” to accelerate their learning. His research on leadership competence and learning has been innovative in the field.
EXECUTIVE COACH AND CONSULTANT
Dr. Anderson has conducted significant executive coaching and mentoring, organization development, strategic planning, team development, and/or executive leadership development projects for police agencies such as Abbotsford Police, California Police Officer Standards and Training, Folsom Police, New Westminster Police Service, Vancouver Police, San Diego Police and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. He has done similar work with corrections, the CCRA, the Ministry of the Attorney General, and non-profit agencies. He has also consulted to small business and Fortune 500 firms such as General Telephone and Electric (GTE) and The TORO Company. Senior executives in business and government sectors have trusted him to be a coach, mentor, confidant, strategic planner and implementation coach. His new focus is on developing strategic leadership competence that impacts community safety.
AUTHOR, SPEAKER AND PUBLISHER
Dr. Anderson and his colleagues will publish the 2nd Edition of the book, Every Officer Is A Leader, February, 2006. He has personally authored and published over a dozen assessments, training and development tools and books (including Transforming Leadership, 1998), some of which have been translated into Japanese, Dutch, Swedish, Hungarian, French and Spanish, and are being used in 9 countries. His Personal Style Indicator and related publications have benefited over a million people. He is a professional speaker who has delivered practical, hard-hitting messages on leadership effectiveness at conferences to over 60,000 people, for organizations such as CACP, COMDEX, BC Foresters, UBC, RCMP, BC Probation Officers, European Police Leadership Forum, the California Police Chiefs Symposium, and the Canadian Police College Leadership Forum.
- Leadership in Teams and Organizations, Communication, Problem and Conflict Management at the undergraduate level
- Leadership and Organization Development in the Criminal Justice System at the Graduate Level
- Coordinated Field Practice Assignments for 25 years
- Current Member of the Western Society of Criminology
- Past Member of the American Society for Training and Development
- Widespread recognition and validation for major research and consulting and executive Coaching interventions
- PhD, Administration and Management: Collaborative Program between Faculty at the University of Massachusetts School of Management and Columbia Pacific University, San Rafael, California, 1991.
- MA, Education, with Specialization in College Teaching and Counseling, California State University, Chico, California, 1973.
- BA, Psychology with English Minor, California State University, Chico, California, 1967.
- CEC Certified Executive Coach Designation, 2002. The Worldwide Association of Business Coaches.
- Professional Teacher Certification, (B.C. Ministry of Education) awarded upon completion of professional work done at the University of Victoria, 1971.
- Post-Secondary Teaching Certification, 1969. Department of Education, State of California.
See Letters for Consulting and Research Projects
Sam L. Spiegel - Chief of Police, Folsom, California
Roy Scott - Executive Director, Sheriff Services
Ward Clapham - Superintendent, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Richmond Detachment
Abbotsford Police Department
Correctional Service of Canada, Ottawa
Correctional Service of Canada, Ottawa
New Westminster Police Service, B.C.
The Justice Institute of British Columbia
Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Surrey, B.C.
San Diego Police Department