UFV seeks nominations for Betty Urquhart award
14 March 2013 - 15 March 2013
Do you know an individual or a group who has made the Fraser Valley a better place to live? Those people who make everyday contributions to their community but may not be recognized? Consider nominating them for the Betty Urquhart annual community service award.
Betty Urquhart was one of the first employees of Fraser Valley College (now UFV) and believed strongly in the values volunteering and giving back to the community. While Betty passed away in 1995, UFV keeps her memory alive by honouring a person or group who exemplifies her commitment to life-long learning and community.
Past winners of the annual Betty Urquhart award include:
- Agassiz Centre for Education (ACE)
- Chilliwack branch of Pacific Riding for Developing Abilities (PRDA).
- Patricia Murakami of Hope for her community work
- Dr. Elizabeth Watt for her work with the Abbotsford Youth Health Centre
- The Yarrow Volunteer Society in recognition of their ongoing commitment to run the Yarrow community hall
- Abbotsford’s Milt Walker for his volunteer work with the Reach Gallery Museum
- Pat and Peggy Wiens of Hope for their Soup’s On lunch program
- Mission resident Tara Scheirer for her work organizing the Warm Zone, a temporary cold weather homeless shelter
- Hope’s Heather Stewin for starting a children’s reading program
- Chilliwack’s Gwen Point for her role in launching the annual Chilliwack Powwow
- Abbotsford’s Ann Dyble for her contribution to the UCFV community women’s centre
- Elsie Goerzen for the Sardis Doorway program she founded as a drop-in for single mothers, and
- Harrison’s Ruth Altendorf for her community work with a senior’s hiking club and music group.
The award is presented as part of the university’s annual convocation ceremony in June. Recognizing community volunteers at convocation inspires students to contribute and give back to their communities. It’s all part of UFV’s commitment to changing lives and building community.”
If you’d like to nominate someone for the Betty Urquhart community service award, review the criteria and download a nomination form at
http://www.ufv.ca/board/bettyurquhartaward/ or contact Lori Ann Waites at 1-888-504-7441 (local 4521) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for this year’s nominations is Friday, March 15.
UFV Marketing Department