How do I book an appointment?

Visit us in the office:
Abbotsford - D203
Chilliwack - A1334(Tuesdays)

Book Online:
Online Appointment Request Form



When should I see an advisor?

You can make an appointment to see an advisor at any time, but some reasons might be:
• Advising of science program requirements and course selection
• Explaination of degree requirements and how they relate to career goals
• Approve declarations for major/minors for BSc and CIS programs
• Advise on graduation procedures and review your graduation requirements
• Clarify university regulations and appeal procedures
• Refer you to services and resources at UFV
• Guide and support you in your  pursuit of academic success 

When do I register?

Registration times are scheduled in May for the Fall semester, November for the Winter semester, and March for the Summer semester. See Important Registration Dates for more details. After the registration times are scheduled, you can find your personal registration time through myUFV. Use your UFV student ID and password to log in.

* Register as soon as possible after your registration time so you do not miss out on your top course choices your top reserved seats that might be available to you. Also remember that classes fill up very fast.
* If you are interested in getting some help choosing your courses please book an appointment with an advisor at least two weeks before your registration time.

To learn more about registration please visit How to Register.

How do I know what courses to take?

You can find out what courses are needed for the Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of CIS and your selected major/minors in the Academic Calendar.  If you are not sure what you will major in, check out the requirements for the degree and each major and minor in the Academic Calendar.  At any time, you can also see a Science Advisor to discuss your options and the best way to complete courses.  Note that courses may only be offered at certain times of the year, as well as there are prerequisites to courses so see an advisor so you can plan ahead for your degree completion.  Faculty, as well as students in the science department are also great sources of information on options for courses.

How do I find more information about individual classes?

You can view more information about individual classes such as course outlines and descriptions please visit the Academic Calendar. For detailed course information please contact the relevant department or instructor.

Where else can I find out about the Bachelor of Science and CIS programs?

You can find more information in the Academic Calendar; make an appointment with an advisor; visit our webpage about Program Planning; or visit the Bachelor of Science degree webpage. You can find more information about CIS Programs by visiting their FAQ page.
You can attend a BSC Information Session. To find the next available Information sessions/orientations please visit Science Events.

What English or Communications courses should I take?

The general BSc requirements for English and Communications are:
Two courses selected from the following:
    • any ENGL courses numbered 105 or above
    • CMNS 155
    • any CMNS course numbered 235 or above
If you are planning on taking vet, medical, dental we recommend to take two English courses to cover your admission requirements.

How long will it take to finish my degree?

A Bachelor of Science degree can be completed in approximately 4 years (8 semesters) if you take 15-16 credits per semester.  However, many students attend school on a part-time basis and may take longer to complete a degree.  Whatever you decide, please note that the Bachelor of Science must be complete within a 10 year timeframe. You can also visit our program planning webpage for more examples of 4 year plans.
*All graduation requirements must be completed within 10 years of initial entry to the program.

Where can I go for extra help in my courses?

You can access the Writing Centre for assistance with your papers.
You can access the Math Centre when you need assistance with your mathematics or statistics problems.
You can also meet up with a Supported Learning Group. These are groups of students in the same class you are taking who are seeking extra assistance.  Each SLG is lead by a peer mentor who has taken the course and has done well.

How do I fund my education?

Visit the Financial Aid website for information on student financial aid, awards, bursaries, and scholarship information.

Are there any work-study or co-op positions available?

Work Study
The Work-Study Program gives eligible students an opportunity to land an on campus, part-time job that is flexible around their class schedule. A number of positions are available during the Fall and Winter semesters in a variety of different areas.
Co-operative Education is an academic program that "extends the students' education beyond the limitations of classroom teaching and curriculum. By providing a structured sequence of progressively challenging lessons learned on assignment and in direct association with practicing members of the profession, students are provided the most comprehensive and professional preparation available." Cates and Cedercreutz (2008)

Co-operative Education combines full-time study (study terms) with full-time, paid employment in a career-related field (work terms). Work terms are 4, 8, or 12 months in duration. Co-op work term placements are not guaranteed, but are awarded on a competitive basis. The hiring decision rests with the employer.

* Please visit http://www.ufv.ca/Jobs.htm for more information.

What do I do if I don’t have the right high school courses?

You can upgrade your courses through the Upgrading and University Preparation Department (UUP) at UFV. UUP offers:
- English
- Math
- Biology
- Computers
- Physics
- Chemistry

You can find more upgrading options at http://www.ufv.ca/Advising/Upgrading.htm.

Can I transfer my courses to another school?

Yes you can. If you are transferring in or out from another BC institution you can have a look at what will transfer by using the BC Transfer guide. If you are from an out of province or overseas institution you will have to apply at Admissions and Registration for each course you want to have assessed for transfer credit. If you are planning to move to another institution – your new institution will have information as to whether the courses you took at UFV will transfer there. They will need a transcript from UFV as well as course outlines. Note that all our course outlines are online in the calendar. If you are transferring to another institution you can also contact them regarding the transfer.

Can you help me decide what career to choose?

We can assist your exploration of career options in the sciences.  Here are some steps you can take to assist in deciding on your career options:
1) Each year events such as the Career Fair , Applying to Graduate School, and Career in Science are put on to assist you in exploring career option.  Check out website as well.  You can visit the Career Centre’s website http://www.ufv.ca/jobs.htm and http://www.ufv.ca/Faculty_of_Science/Events.htm for events with the Science Advice Centre.

    1) Ask a professional if you can job shadow to see what they do. Talk to your science faculty.
    2) See if the profession you are considering has a professional association with a website. They usually have lots of information on there.
    3) Look at government websites. The provincial and federal government web pages also have lots of information on careers.
    4) Find online forums of professionals and ask questions.

What majors can I do?

• Biology
• Chemistry
• Mathematics
• Physical Geography
• Physics

Should I take a minor?

You are allowed to take any minor with a Science Major. The most common ones are:
Math major Comp Sci minor
Bio major Chem minor
Phys major Math minor
Chem major Bio minor
Bio major KPE minor
Phys major Comp Sci minor
You can also consider minors outside of the science field, as in the Academic Calendar.

When should I declare a major?

You can declare a major at any time, but we recommend that you do so by 60 credits.  The majors have prescribed courses so you may have to take extra courses if you wait too long.

Can I change my mind and pick another major?

Yes you can. Please make an appointment to learn about your options and to update your declaration.

How many courses should be taken each year?

To complete your BSc in 4 years you need to take around 15 credits per semester. Typically this is 4 courses per semester but the credits may vary. However, everyone is different. That's why you should speak to a science advisor to discuss your plan.

Can I do a pre-med program at UFV?

Yes you can. We have a concentration for a Biology major that includes all the courses you need to apply to UBC’s medical program. If you plan to go into any of the other programs you should check their entrance requirements. If you are planning on applying to any other medical schools outside of BC please refer to their website.

Where can I find more information about Medical School?

For more information about Medical school please visit the Pre-Med Student Association website.


Twitter Facebook Linkedin Flikr UFV on Google+ YouTube goUFV