TIPS ON APPLYING FOR SCHOLARSHIPS
READ THE CRITERIA
- Before you apply, check the scholarship's criteria and ensure you qualify. Applications from students who do not meet the criteria are often not considered.
- Maintain a high Grade Point Average (GPA). Most scholarships are based on high GPA’s.
BE THOROUGH WHEN COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
- Read the application carefully. (You would be surprised at how many submitted applicatoins are incomplete, and are ineligible as a result!)
- Create a Word document and copy your answers/comments into your online application. The more professional your application looks, the better your odds of making a good impression.
- Proofread your application: ensure there are no mistakes and/or fields left blank.
CHOOSE REFERENCES WITH CARE (letters of recommendation)
- Choose your references with care. They should be current.
- Employers, religious leaders, community leaders, teachers and instructors can serve as excellent references.
- Use references who have known you for at least six months.
- Avoid using members of your family, best friends, or roommates.
- Advise your reference of what award you are applying for and inform them of specific criteria of the award so that, if required, they may indicate why you are a suitable candidate. Ask them to address your current attributes and skills.
MAKE A STRONG PERSONAL STATEMENT
- Always enclose a letter to simply tell the scholarship committee who you are and why you are the best candidate for the scholarship. Your personal statement is viewed as the equivalent to a face-to-face interview. Take some time to make your commentary clear, concise and informative as possible.
- Share with the selection committee your personal and professional goals.
- Include a list of your extracurricular activities, such as clubs, sports, student government, volunteer work, co-op jobs, part-time jobs, etc.
MEET THE DEADLINES
- Do not wait until the last minute. Give yourself enough time to meet all of the scholarship requirements. Submit your application and all documentation on time. Late applications will not be considered.