Since 2007, the UFV Geography Honours students have been engaged in projects that provided advanced research experience and a leg up on graduate school and employment. In the program, students work one-to-one with a faculty supervisor to design and conduct in their research programs, the final product of which is an undergraduate Honours thesis. Honours students also complete additional coursework in a second, breadth field (e.g. Biology, Communications, etc.) that compliment their current program.
Where has this taken them? Geography Honours students have presented their research at regional and national conferences, providing invaluable networking opportunities. Some have won internal and international awards for their research. Most Honours students have gone on to graduate school across Canada and in Australia, in master's programs in the Arts, Sciences, and Planning, most winning major entrance scholarships and awards.
For more information on the requirements for the Honours program, please see the most recent UFV Calendar information for:
BSc, Physical Geography major (Honours)
BA, Geography major (Honours)
Application for the BSc, Physical Geography (Honours)
Application for the BA, Geography (Honours)
Contact Dr. Michelle Rhodes, Head, Geography Department, at email@example.com.
Honours Student Research
- Stephany, Paul. Research in Progress. Indigenous Narrative: Mapping Blackfoot Oral Tradition. Using GIS. Supervisor: Dr. Ken Brealey.
- Helmer, Emily. 2012. Palynology of Intertidal Wetland Sediments in River Inlet, BC. Supervisor: Dr. Jonathan Hughes.
- Schuurmans, Alanna. 2012. A Dendrochronological Assessment of Fire History in the South Okanagan, BC. Supervisor: Dr. Jonathan Hughes.
- Van Ardenne, Lee. 2012. Geochemistry of Intertidal Wetland Sediments in River Inlet, BC. Supervisor: Dr. Jonathan Hughes.
- Brien, Cassandra. 2011. An Analysis of Minority Influence in Urban Planning and Community Development. Supervisor: Dr. Garry Fehr.
- Chapman, Rachel. 2011. A Ghost Town in the Making? Young Adult Perspectives of the Economic Future of Sparwood, BC.. Supervisor: Dr. Michelle Rhodes.
- Cullen, Justine. 2010. Optical Dating of a Climatically Significant Lithostratigraphic Unit, Muir Point, Southwest BC. Supervisor: Dr. Olav Lian.
- Kendzierski, Melissa. 2010. Re-Envisioning UFV: Sustainable Place-Making, a Work in Progress. Supervisor: Dr. Michelle Rhodes.
- Murphy, Erin. 2009. Seasonal Beach Morphology, Shoreline Migration, and the Influence of Mitigation Structures on Beach Erosion in Boundary Bay, BC. Supervisor: Claire Beaney.
- Moon, Winter. 2008. Genesis and Geostratigraphy of a Key pre-Olympia Glacial Lithostratigraphic Unit in Southwest BC. Supervisor: Dr. Olav Lian.
- Sacco. Dave. 2008. Luminescence Dating on Lake Core Sediments from the Canadian High Arctic. Supervisor: Dr. Olav Lian.
- Vissers, Liefka. 2007. Study of the Socio-Economic Variables Affecting Community Patterns in the Fraser Valley. Supervisor: Dr. John Belec.