Associate Professor, UFV
Education: BA (Hons) Concordia University, MA, Ph.D. University of London
Specialty: Modern East Asian history (China and Japan): especially Chinese communist movement, Chinese labour history, and imperialism in modern East Asia.
Worker education, culture and class identity in south China 1949 - 1999
Chinese working class literature in the post-Mao reform era
- Hist 115: Traditional East Asian Civilizations
- Hist 235: Late Imperial and Modern China
- Hist 236: Japanese History since 1600
- Hist 382: Social History of Twentieth-Century China
- Hist 385: Imperialism and Colonialism in Modern Asia
- Hist 486: Problems in the Chinese Communist Revolution
- Hist 487: Society and Politics in China since 1949
- Marxist Intellectuals and the Chinese Labor Movement: A Study of Deng Zhongxia 1894-1933 (Seattle & London: University of Washington Press, 1997)
- Daniel Kwan has published reviews in major journals such as The American Historical Review, The International History Review, Journal of Oriental Studies, and Journal of Peasant Studies.
- "Culture and Politics of Chinese Workers: An Analysis of Spare-Time Educational Programs in Guangzhou, 1949-1959", Asian Studies Conference Japan, Tokyo (June 24-25, 2006)