Souffles are tricky as they puff up beautifully and then collapse before you know it. The best part about it all is that you get to see it happen and enjoy the creamy delicious flavor that it has. Choose a 1 L (4 cup) size bowl for this simple souffle to watch it grow and puff in the microwave as it cooks.
10 mL (2 tsp) soft, non-hydrogenated margarine
60 mL (1/4 cup) skim milk
15 mL (1 tbsp) all purpose flour
1 mL (1/4 tsp) dried oregano
Pinch cayenne pepper
15 mL (1 tbsp) finely chopped roasted red pepper
1 egg white or 30 Ml (2 tbsp) liquid egg white
1. In a 1 L (4 cup) bowl, combine margarine and milk. Microwave on High for 30 seconds
2. Whisk in flour, oregano and pepper. Microwave on High for 30 seconds. Whisk to combine.
3. Whisk in red pepper
4. Using electric mixer, beat egg white until firm peaks. Fold into milk mixture until evenly combined. Microwave on High for about 1 minute or until puffed and cooked through.
5. Slide out onto plate to enjoy.
QUICK BREAKFAST FRUIT PITA
Preparation time: 5 minutes
1/2 banana, crushed
1 tbsp flaxseed (ground or whole)
1 tsp pumpkin seeds
1 6-inch (15 cm) pita
1 strawberry, hulled and thinly sliced
1. In a small bowl, combine banana, flaxseed and pumpkin seeds.
2. Toast pita and cut open. Stuff with banana mixture and place slices of strawberry on top. Eat while still warm from the toaster.
Egg substitute equivalent to 2 eggs
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 6-inch flour or corn tortillas
1 cup of shredded potatoes
1/4 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
1/4 green bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup of ground soy meat (seasoned)
1 ounce low-fat cheese (whatever cheese you prefer), shredded
Preheat oven to 350F.
Use a small nonstick skillet. Heat skillet over medium-low heat. Pour egg substitute into skillet and add 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, or until eggs are cooked through. Set aside.
Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and warm in oven for 4-5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, mix potatoes, bell peppers, ground seasoned soy meat.
Next, take a small amount of butter and coat the medium-size nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
Using a wood or rubber scraper, spread potato mixture evenly over the bottom of the skillet. Cook for 5-6 minutes on one side, or until potatoes are a light golden brown. Turn potato mixture over with a spatula and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes.
Assembly: Using flour tortillas, layer ingredients vertically down the middle of a tortilla as follows:
1/4 of the scrambled eggs
1/4 of the potato mixture
and 1/4 of the cheese
Fold the left third of the tortilla to the center. Roll the bottom edge all the way up to the top. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve immediately.
◄ HEALTHY RECIPES