PUMPKIN CRANBERRY MUFFIN SQUARES
Chock full of cranberries and pumpkin flavor, these moist orange-spiked squares are ideal for dessert or weekend breakfast treats. Tuck one or two into packed lunches for a treat kids will love.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup chopped fresh cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp grated orange rind
3/4 cup cooked pumpkin puree
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp butter, softened
1. Topping: In bowl, combine sugar, flour, pumpkin pie spice and butter; set aside.
2. In large bowl stir together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir in cranberries and walnute
3. In separate bowl, beat egg; mix in brown sugar, orange juice, milk, oil and orange rind. Blend in pumpkin puree. Pour over flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Spoon into greased 8-inch (2 L) square cake pan. Sprinkle with topping.
4. Bake in 375 degree F (190 degree C) oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Run knife around edges to loosen. Turn out onto wire rack and let cool. Cut into squares. (Alternatively spoon batter into 12 large greased or paper-lined muffin cups, filling to top. Sprinkle with topping. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until firm to the touch). Serve warm or at room temperature.
BANANA-BERRY WAKE-UP SHAKE
1 cup fresh or frozen berries (any combination)
1 cup milk or vanilla-flavored soy beverage
3/4 cup lower-fat yogurt (vanilla or other flavor that complements berries)
1. In a blender, liquefy fruit with a small amount of the milk. Add remaining milk and yogurt; blend until smooth. If shake is too thick, add extra milk or soy beverage to achieve desired consistency.
CITRUS DESSERT SALAD
2 large grapefruits (peeled and seeded)
3 large oranges (peeled, seeded and sectioned)
2 tangerines (peeled, seeded and sectioned)
3 tbsp of coconut
Combine citrus ingredients in a large bowl and mix gently. Serve in parfait cups and top with coconut or a dollop of your favourite yogurt. Makes 6 servings.