1 cup chopped onion
3 teaspoons curry paste
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 lb butternut squash
1 lb yams
4 medium red potatoes
1 tin chickpeas
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup carrots
Put all ingredients into a crockpot and let simmer for about 2 hours.
Pesto Pasta with Chicken, Zucchini, Peppers & Tomatoes
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1 pkg whole wheat penne pasta
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup chopped rehydrated sundried tomatoes
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
3 tbsp salt free margarine, divided
2 cups chopped zucchini
1 1/2 cups red and yellow sweet pepper strips
2 cups cooked chicken
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, without salt.
2. In food processor, mince garlic. Add sun-dried tomatoes, basil and parsley; puree until well blended. Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the margarine and process until well combined.
3. In large non-stick skillet, over medium-heat, melt remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) of margarine. Add zucchini; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add peppers; cook, stirring often for 3 to 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
4. Drain pasta; keep hot. Stir in basil puree, vegetables and chicken. Toss to coat well.
Thai Turkey Stir-Fry
Preparation: 15 minutes / Cooking: 25 minutes
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 2 inch (5cm) piece gingerroot, grated
1 lb bonelss skinless turkey breast cut into strips
1 head bok choy (about 1 lb / 500 g), chopped
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1 tsp grated lime zest
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tsp red curry paste
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat wok. Saute garlic, ginger and turkey for almost 10 min or until turkey is lightly browned on the outside and no longer pink inside. Add bok choy and red pepper; saute for 4 min. Stir in coconut milk, lime zest, lime juice, soy sauce, and curry paste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 min or until sauce has thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Ladle onto plates and garnish with cilantro
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium green and red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 lb beef steak (round, flank or sirloin, trimmed and thinly sliced across the grain)
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp each black pepper, dry mustard and ground ginger
10 8 - inch (20cm) soft flour tortillas
2/3 cup shredded light cheddary-style cheese
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook green and red peppers and onions, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
2. Add beef to pan; brown for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, pepper, mustard and ginger; heat through. Return vegetables to skillet; heat through.
3. Divide mixture among tortillas; sprinkle mixture with 1 tbsp (15 mL) cheese and roll up. Place in greased 13 x 9 inch (3 L) baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes to heat through.
COUNTRY VEGETABLE CHOWDER
1 tbsp margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups vegetable stock or water
2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
1 1/2 cups parsnip strips
1 cup cut-up green beans
1/2 cup thickly sliced carrots
1/2 tsp each dried thyme, oregano and salt
1/4 tsp white or black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cups broccoli florets and sliced peeled stems
2 cups 2% milk
1. In a 4-quart (4 L) saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat; cook onion, stirring until softened.
2. Add vegetable stock, potatoes, parsnips, turnips, beans, carrots, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer; cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
3. Add broccoli; cook until vegetables are tender. Stir in milk; heat until hot but do not boil. Discard bay leaf.
Preheat oven to recommended bake time of crust, usually about 375F. Spread pizza sauce evenly over flatbread. Top with remaining ingredients.