STUFFED SPINNING TOMATO TOPS
5 Italian tomatoes (plum)
1/2 English cucumber
5 Fresh sweet basil leaves
60 mL (1/4 cup) 1% plain yogurt
Pinch of pepper
1. Cut tomatoes in two lengthwise, scoop out halves (using a spoon, remove centre part where seeds are).
2. Slice cucumber into rounds approximatly 1/2 cm (1/4 in) thick.
3. Peel mango, then cut in two. Take one of the mango halves and cut in strips.
4. Cut cucumber and mango slices into small cubes. Put these in a bowl.
5. Using scissors or fingers, cut or tear sweet basil into small pieces. Add this into mixture.
6. Pour yogurt into bowl and add a pinch of pepper. Mix all ingredients.
7. Stuff tomato halves with mixture and serve.
PUMPKIN RAISIN MUFFINS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Two 12-cup muffin tins, greased or paper-lined
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 can (14 oz/398 mL) pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
1. In a large bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and raisins.
2. In a separate bowl, blend together pumpkin, oil, buttermilk and eggs.
3. Make a large well in center of dry ingredients; pour in wet ingredients all at once. Gently fold together until just combined.
4. Spoon batter into muffin tins. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes or until firm to the touch.
SWEET POTATO "FRIES"
Here's a delicious alternative to French fries - with more nutrients and less fat.
For a super-quick sweet potato, cook it in the microwave. Just scrub a medium (8oz) potato, pierce it with a fork and microwave on High for 2 to 3 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes before serving.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
Nonstick baking sheet
1 lb sweet potatoes, each cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1. Place potatoes in a bowl. Add oil, paprika and garlic powder. Season to taste with pepper. Toss to coat. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender and golden, turning once.
EASY TOMATO BASIL BRUSCHETTA
Preparation time: 15 minutes / Cooking time: 8 minutes
6 slices light rye bread
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
18 cherry or grape tomatoes, coarsely chopped
5 leaves fresh basil, chopped
2 large roasted red bell peppers (from a jar), drained and coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp hot pepper sauce (optional)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup feta cheese (optional)
(Makes 6 servings)
1. Arrange bread on baking sheet. Brush lightly with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the olive oil. Toast under preheated broiler for 3 minutes or until light brown.
2. In a medium bowl, toss cherry tomatoes, basil, red peppers, garlic, Parmesan, the remaining olive oil, hot pepper sauce (if using), pepper and salt. Distribute evenly on top of bread. Sprinkle with feta cheese, if using.
3. Broil until heated through, about 5 minutes. Cut each slice of bread in half diagonally.
Nutrients Per Serving
Fat: 6.1 g
Sodium: 443 mg
Carbohydrate: 16 g
Fiber: 2.6 g
Protein: 3.7 g
Calcium: 53 mg
Iron: 1.2 mg
Very high in: Vitamin C
High in: Folate
A source of: Dietary fiber