What do I need to do to get a job while studying at UFV?

As an international student, you can work in Canada. Follow the four steps below to find out what you need to do to get a job on campus, off campus, or through the Co-op program.


Visit the UFV Career Centre and sign up with CareerLink

At the UFV Career Centre, you can find all a wealth of information about working opportunities, including a helpful employment guidebook for international students.

The Career Centre also has a job bank called CareerLink. Sign up for CareerLink to view job postings, get information about info sessions, or book an appointment with a career coach.


Make sure you meet the requirements before you apply for a job

Requirements to work on Campus

To get an on-campus job, you need to:

  • be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credits for the current semester (3 courses), except in summer if registered full-time in Fall or Winter
  • maintain a GPA of 2.0 or greater (check your student record through myUFV to confirm your GPA)

You do not need a work permit to work on campus.

Requirements to work off campus

Before you start job hunting for employment off-campus, you need a work permit.

To get an off-campus permit, you need to:

  • have a valid Study Permit
  • have been a full-time student for at least six of the 12 months preceding the date of your work permit application
  • maintain a GPA of 2.0 or greater (check your student record through myUFV to confirm your GPA)

Visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada to find out how to apply. It can take four to eight weeks to get your work permit. A non-refundable application fee of $150 applies.

Requirements to work as part of  the UFV Co-op program

If you are a full-time student enrolled in Arts, Business Administration, Computer Information Systems, Kinesiology, Library and Information Technology, or Sciences, you can apply for the Co-op program and alternate study semesters and work terms. You need to:

  • have completed 18 credits in your academic program
  • maintain a GPA (Grade Point Average) of 2.33 for a diploma or 2.67 for a degree program (check your student record through myUFV to confirm your GPA)

Apply for the Co-op program via CareerLink by the last Monday of September, January or May. As soon as you receive your letter of acceptance from the Co-op program, apply for a work permit. There is no fee when you indicate on your application that you want a Co-op work permit. To qualify for a coop work permit, you need to:

  • have a valid Study Permit
  • intend to work in a job that is related to your field of studies
  • have a letter from the Career Centre stating that your employment is part of your academic program

Visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada to find out how to apply.


Find a job

Work On campus

Check out with CareerLink to view work-study positions available on campus. Work-study positions for the Fall term are posted as early as August 15. Positions that are available for the Winter term are posted in early December. 

Jobs are available year-round in a variety of areas. Each work-study position provides for 120 hours of work per semester.  The number of hours you work a week may vary depending on the position, but cannot exceed 40 hours. The pay is $10.25 per hour.

Work off Campus

With a work permit, you may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the regular academic year (September to April) and full-time during scheduled breaks (Summer, Winter and reading breaks).

You can find work opportunities advertised on online job boards, in local newspapers, or directly on local companies’ websites.

Find a job placement as part as the Co-op program

Once accepted in the Co-op program, you will have the opportunity to attend a day-long pre-employment workshop at the Career Centre to learn how to find a job placement.

The Career Centre works with employers to find suitable work placements for Co-op students. These work opportunities are not listed outside the program and are reserved for Co-op students. You can apply for these opportunities through CareerLink.

If you are interested in a job that is not listed on the Co-op job board, talk to the Career Centre. They can approach an employer on your behalf to explore the possibility of setting up a work placement.


Get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Everyone who works in Canada must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in order to be paid. Employers must provide your SIN to Revenue Canada for income tax purposes. 

To get a SIN card, you will need to provide your Study permit  and a contract of employment from UFV or your off-campus employer. This contract must show the start and end date of employment. These dates must fall within your study permit dates.

The Abbotsford Service Canada Center is located at:
32525 Simon Avenue, Abbotsford, BC V2T 6T6
Phone: 604-854-5852
Hours of service: 8:30am-4:00pm

Visit Service Canada to find out how to apply for a SIN.

Twitter Facebook Linkedin Flikr UFV on Google+ YouTube goUFV