You take good care of your body; take good care of your brain as well.
What you need to know about concussions and the UFV Concussion Management Program:
- Concussions cause a combination of temporary and permanent damage to the brain.
- Cumulative effects of concussion have ended the careers of a number of amateur and professional athletes.
- If a concussion is poorly managed, the risk of a subsequent concussion and problems with school, work, and mental heath increase.
- Some research studies indicate that there is a possibility for earlier onset of disorders associated with aging such as various forms of dementia.
- When properly managed, the possibility of cumulative effects and lingering deficits of concussion injuries can be dramatically decreased.
- The purpose of the Concussion Management Program is a safe return to play –- not to stop you from further participation.
- Concussions should not be treated like other physical injuries –- you cannot play through a concussion.
- We perform baseline testing to provide a metric of your pre-injury functioning.
- Baseline assessments are valid for a period of two years.
- Unlike other injuries, there are no interventions to help you recover from the acute effects of concussion other than TIME.
Contact us today about getting involved in the program.