What is Kinesiology?

Kinesiology is defined as the art and science of human movement. It is a field of study in that kinesiology is both a discipline and a profession. A discipline is a scientifically acquired body of knowledge that allows us to understand the particular area of study - in the case of kinesiology, the area of study is human movement and we take a multi disciplinary approach to understanding how movement can be accomplished by the human organism and how this movement capability can be enhanced and maximized. Specific sub discipline areas are biomechanics, exercise physiology and anatomy, motor control/learning, exercise and sport psychology, sport sociology, health, and sport humanities (history and philosophy). The profession of kinesiology is the application of this knowledge in a particular applied setting that provides employment and career opportunities for the student.



What job prospects are available to a graduate of a Kinesiology and Physical Education program?


Because human movement is a pervasive aspect of our society, multiple career opportunities are presented to a kinesiology student. These career opportunities can be roughly grouped into areas of pedagogy/coaching; health/exercise/fitness; therapeutic/biomedical applications; ergonomics/human factors; and research. Also, kinesiology is an excellent preparation program for entry into education for medical professions, such as medicine, physiotherapy, and chiropractic, among others.



What programs are available through the department of Kinesiology and Physical Education at UFV?

The KPE department currently offers the following programs: a four year Bachelor of Kinesiology degree, a minor in Kinesiology for students in the BA, BGS and BSc programs and a one year Adventure Tourism Training program. 

The Bachelor of Kinesiology degree requires the completion of at least 120 credits applicable to the KPE program plan, of which a minimum of 48 credits must be at the upper-level (300/400).  Students must complete either the exercise science option or the pedagogy option to complete their degree.   

The Adventure Tourism Training program is an eight month certificate program (30 credits) designed to provide students with an introduction to the adventure tourism industry.  Graduates of this program will be qualified for entry-level employment within a wide range of adventure tourism venues, or to pursue further studies. 


How do I know if I should be completing the exercise science option or the pedagogy option?

Which option you complete in the Bachelor of Kinesiology degree depends on your career goals. 

The exercise science option will provide preparation for those pursuing careers as a registered kinesiologist, those planning to go to graduate school or those preparing for admittance to a professional program such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, massage therapy, medicine or chiropractics.

The pedagogy option will provide preparation for those pursuing careers in instructional settings in both the public and private domain.  Although many graduates from this option will pursue a teaching credential, many others will find opportunities in community recreation facilities as instructors, personal trainers or administrators (depending on the electives chosen)

Students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor or the KPE Department Assistant to discuss these options.


I eventually want to go to UBC/SFU/UVic or TWU. What courses should I select? How many credits can I transfer? What GPA do I need?

First, make sure you apply to UFV as a general studies-university transfer student. Then, look under the program section of our web page for specific details of which courses you should select for each of the universities. You can transfer a maximum of 60 credits (30 units at UVic) or two complete years of coursework. You can apply to transfer after one or two years at UFV, but most of the universities prefer a student to have completed two years at a college before transferring. GPA required for transfer varies from year to year, depending on the number of seats available at the university and the quality of the students applying. Normally, a GPA between 2.3 and 2.7 (C+ to B-) should get you in, although the universities are indicating a need to reduce the number of students in KPE programming as they have stretched their resources to the limit. This should cause the entry GPA to rise.



Which courses would you recomend taking as an introduction to the field or as personal interest courses?


KPE 161 is an introductory course that provides a broad survey of the field. KPE 103 (Fitness and Conditioning) and KPE 160 (Health) are also good introductory courses, and are great personal interest courses that would provide useful information to anyone, regardless of the area of study they pursue. Other potential courses that might be useful to take from an introductory/personal interest perspective are KPE 170 (Basic Human Anatomy) and KPE 260 (Nutrition).


What is the difference between Kinesiology, Human Kinetics, and Physical Education?

Although the universities may argue with us, our answer is not much! Our field is very broad and has been expanding rapidly over the last few years. Each of the universities in British Columbia have slightly different philosophical approaches to the field, and have different strengths and weaknesses. As a means of emphasizing these differences, the departments in our field at these universities have adopted different names. Thus, UBC is called Human Kinetics, SFU is Kinesiology, and UVic is Physical Education (with a kinesiology option)- and the University of Alberta is Human Movement Studies, and the University of Regina is Physical Activity Studies. Our preference is to use the term Kinesiology to describe the broad field and the use of a department name of Kinesiology and Physical Education is meant to emphasize the inclusiveness of our programming.


I have more questions - who should I contact to get answers?

Any of our faculty in the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education would be happy to answer your questions. E-mail is probably the easiest way to contact us, or telephone will work as well. Our e-mail addresses and telephone numbers are included with the faculty profiles.

Twitter Facebook Linkedin Flikr UFV on Google+ YouTube goUFV