The UFV Library will obtain books, journal articles, videos/DVDs, and more from other libraries via interlibrary loan (ILL). To avoid delays in processing your requests, please familiarize yourself with our policies.
Please Note: You can place ILL requests from within many of the library's research databases; simply look for the "Where Can I Get This?" link or, if using Outlook Online, the "Request" button, then follow the prompts on the screen.
- You must be a registered borrower with the UFV library (current student, current or retired staff or faculty, alumni with current alumni card, or community borrower).
- The UFV library places limits on the number of subsidized ILL requests; see the table below for details.
- The requested materials must be items required for UFV-related research, employment or course work. Materials deemed to be of general interest, or for hobbies or genealogical research, will be assessed a fee of $10.00 per request.
- UFV students at a distance have the same ILL privileges as on-campus students.
- Students registered in undergraduate courses may only request materials available from Canadian libraries.
- We do not borrow the following materials:
- items already in UFV's collection (even if currently in use);
- entire volume or issue of a journal or magazine;
- books published within the last 12 months;
- reference materials, textbooks, or sound recordings;
- rare, valuable, or fragile items; or
- items that are difficult or expensive to ship.
- Interlibrary loan requests are subject to copyright restrictions; under the terms of fair dealing within the COPYRIGHT ACT R.S.C. c. C-42 as amended, UFV cannot order photocopies of more than 10% of a published work or one journal article per issue.
ILL Request Limits & Fees
||All Other Requests
||100 filled requests/year2
||$10.00 per request
|Faculty & Staff
||100 filled requests/year2
||10 filled requests/year
1 There are costs, both direct and indirect, associated with every interlibrary loan request, including staff time, mailing costs, and fees charged by lending libraries. The UFV Library subsidizes most of these costs for its students, faculty, and staff.
2 These limits may be adjusted on a case by case basis. If you feel they are inadequate, please contact us.
Delivery time varies from 3-14 days or longer. Most articles arrive within 3 business days; other materials will take longer. Always allow sufficient time.
Notification When ILL Items Have Arrived
When your item arrives at UFV you will be notified by email, using the email address you entered on your Interlibrary Loan request form. If the item is an article, a link to the article will be embedded in the email message.
Picking up Interlibrary Loans
Please bring your library card to the circulation desk to collect your ILL item(s). Students at a distance who meet the eligibility requirements and who identify themselves as such on the request form will have their items sent by courier to their home address for books and videos. Articles will arrive by email for all current students, faculty, and staff.
For further information on interlibrary loans, e-mail us: email@example.com.
Updated September 13, 2012 cb