Process for 3rd and 4th year BSW Field Placement
What is a Field Placement?
A Field Placement is also referred to as a Practicum. All BSW students are required to complete two Field Placements throughout their program. Both are block placements and take place in the Winter semester. Part-time students have an opportunity to complete their Field Placement in the Fall semester as well. Field Placements are designed to provide students with an opportunity to integrate their social work learning in the classroom with real life experiences of working in social work agencies. Students are supervised by Field Instructors who have a social work background and can help students link the social work theory with practice. Students are also enrolled in a seminar alongside their field placement.
What is the Process?
You must apply to complete a practicum in both your 3rd and 4th year. Please note SOWK 330/430 have pre/co requisites and a GPA requirement.
- Complete a Field Placement Request Form through the Intern Placment Tracker Database (IPT)
- Prepare an up to date resume in the Student Resume Format
- Complete a Consent to a Criminal Record Check pdf through the Ministry of Justice
- Schedule an interview with the Field Education Coordinator – the schedule will be provided by the Field Education Office
- Arrange an interview with the agency contact provided to you by the Field Education Coordinator
- The Field Education Coordinator will confirm your placement with the agency
- Start your placement!
For more details and to keep as a reference please download and print the BSW Field Placement Flow Chart provided below.
BSW Field Placement Flow Chart pdf