Required Criminal Record Check Information and Directions
Registered students in a university or college with a practicum component involving work with children and vulnerable adults must provide a criminal record check authorization to the Criminal Records Review program.
Criminal record checks completed through the Criminal Records Review Program are a legislative requirement under the British Columbia Criminal Records Review Act. The University of the Fraser Valley requires all School of Social Work and Human Services students to complete a criminal record check through the Ministry of Justice.
For details about the Criminal Records Review Program please visit the Ministry of Public Justice website.
Who Must Have a Criminal Record Check under the Criminal Records Review Act
To Complete the Consent to a Criminal Record Check Form
Portions of the form have been completed for you. You are a Schedule Type B and will be working with children and vulnerable adults.
Consent to a Criminal Record Check pfd
Part 1 - Applicant Information is to be completed by you
Part 2 - Organization Information has been completed for you
Part 3 – Not applicable to you
Please make sure you sign and date the Consent for Release of Information and Acknowledgements section.
1. Complete the Application for Pre-Authorized credit card usage form and mail or fax this form along with the consent to a criminal record check form. Credit Card Payment Form pdf
2. Certified Check - Made payable to the Minister of Finance – This is not the same as a personal check
3. Money Order- Made payable to the Minister of Finance
PLEASE NOTE: Personal Checks ARE NOT ACCEPTED – Please don’t send personal checks. Your consent to a criminal record check will be not be processed.
Complete the Consent to a criminal record check form
Provide a copy a of the consent form to the Field Education Assistant
Provide the $20 payment. The three payment options are credit card, money order, or a certified check.
Mail the consent form and payment to the Ministry of Justice
The Ministry Justice
Criminal Records Review Program
P.O. Box 9217 STN PROV GOVT
Victoria, B.C. V8W 9J1
Fax only if paying with credit card to:
- A municipal police department or RCMP detachment record check does not meet the legislative requirement of the British Columbia Criminal Records Review Act and cannot be accepted by the Field Education Office.
- Submission of the consent for a criminal record check is mandatory for all School of Social Work and Human Services students and failure to provide the criminal record check will result in a delay to the field planning process and to your placement.
- It is the responsibility of the student to complete the paperwork, submit the forms, and provide payment to The Ministry of Justice.
- If a criminal record exists, the student is notified by the Ministry and is required to follow up. Students are not eligible to continue with a field placement and must maintain communication with the Field Education Coordinator until the issue is resolved.
Download the Forms
Consent to a Criminal Record Check pdf
Credit Card Payment Form pdf
Criminal Record Check Directions pdf
For more information about the Criminal Record Review Program please visit the Ministry of Justice website: http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/criminal-records-review/index.htm