University Relations Highlights 2016/17
- In fiscal year 15/16, we raised $1.24 million for UFV, including major gifts, student awards, and in-kind equipment.
- In Spring 2016, to mark the 10th anniversary of UFV's campus in Chandigarh, India, we published a special edition of Skookum magazine, and held a celebration event for UFV's Top 10 Chandigarh alumni in Canada.
- In June, we led the event production of UFV’s Convocation, hosting thousands of graduates and guests over four ceremonies at the Abbotsford Centre. Executive Director Leslie Courchesne emceed two ceremonies, and served on the honorary doctorate selection committee for 2016 recipients Luigi Aquilini, Halldor Bjarnason, Linda Frimer and George Peary.
- We negotiated and signed two new affinity partnerships on behalf of the UFV Alumni Association, with TD Meloche Monnex and BMO Mastercard. The programs will serve our 35,000 alumni and raise funds for student awards.
- In August, UFV and the UFV Alumni Association teamed up to be a gold sponsor for the Abbotsford Air Show. We hosted a chalet for alumni, donors, industry and community guests, and a public photo booth in the cockpit of our 727 jet.
- In September, we published the UFV 2016 Community Report, featuring stories and infographics on how the university is changing lives and building community. The publication was distributed across the Fraser Valley in community newspapers.
- Throughout the fall, our student recruitment team visited more than 100 public and private high schools from Vancouver Island to the Okanagan. They gave presentations, exhibited at fairs, and distributed our newly redesigned UFV Viewbook, reaching upwards of 10,000 prospective students in person.
- We worked with the UFV Alumni Association to host the second annual UFV Alumni Open golf tournament on Sept 16, raising $15,000 net for the UFV Alumni Changes Lives Bursary Endowment for students in need. Our heartfelt appreciation to Chilliwack Golf Club, the 88 golfers, 24 sponsor organizations and many volunteers for making the event a success.
- On Nov 9, we brought together 250 members of the community and academia for UFV's Town & Gown, our second annual fundraising dinner, raising $132,000 for student scholarships. The UFV Alumni Association presented Distinguished Alumni and Young Distinguished Alumni awards to Gary Bass and Shannon Thiesen. Our sincerest thanks to presenting sponsor Prospera Credit Union and the many other sponsors, our community leaders team instrumental in table and ticket sales, silent auction donors, and all attendees for making the sold-out evening UFV’s first six-figure fundraiser event.
- Strategic online, print and out-of-home advertising continued, and we produced several videos, including 'It's all in the family' and, 'How bursaries and scholarships can make a difference.'
- We launched enhanced alumni and donor monthly e-newsletters, and the curated UFV Now employee e-news.
- Proactive and responsive storytelling, media relations and social media continued. UFV media hits on mainstream media websites rose to 8 times per day (from 5) over the first half of 2016/17.
- Emergency communications drills and live situations such as power outages have gone well. UFV Alert subscriptions now exceed 2000 users.
- We continue to evolve UFV's website into our new mobile responsive design. And, in partnership with UFV Information Technology Services, we are launching UFV's new app in early 2017.
Last updated November 2016.