The UUP department uses a computerized placement assessment called Accuplacer™ to measure reading, writing, and math skills. Completing the assessment helps place students at a course level that's comfortable and meets their skill level.
English Reading Comprehension
- The English assessment starts with a reading portion of 20 multiple choice questions.
- The reading assessment is not timed, so read each question carefully before you answer it.
- Accuplacer™ questions are based on your answers to previous questions, so each person doing the assessment will complete a different set of questions.
- You cannot skip a question and answer it later, and you cannot go backwards to change an answer.
English Writing Assessment
- After the reading portion, you will be asked to write 300-600 words on a topic given to you by the Accuplacer™ program.
- You have one hour to plan, write, review, and edit your writing. Read the assignment carefully before you begin to write.
- Your score is NOT based on your opinions but on your ability to express, organize, and support your ideas.
Accuplacer™ Math Assessment