Return to campus — information and updates »

Centre for Accessibility Services

Faculty FAQ

Where do I email my exams?

Abbotsford Exams: Email your exams to

Chilliwack Exams: Email your exams to

You can also drop off the exam at the front desk in Student Services.

How many students are registered with the Centre for Accessibility Services?

There are more than 1000 students registered with the Centre for Accessibility Services. Students registered with CAS typically have been diagnosed with permanent disabilities but we also help students with temporary disabilities.

How does the Centre for Accessibility Services create accommodation plans for students with disabilities?

Students present documentation from a physician, psychologist, or psychiatrist who is qualified to diagnose a disability and describe the functional limitations. Functional limitations are the academic barriers a student experiences as a result of their disability. Advisors will also make inquiries about a student's history and educational experience to gain a clear understanding of these barriers and how they might intersect with courses, assignments, and instructional mode.

Once we have a complete understanding of a student's diagnosis and functional limitations, accommodation planning can take place. Planning accommodations, according to Human Rights legislation, should be a collaborative process in which both the disability advisor and student work together. Academic accommodations are then established based, in part, on guidelines from the Ministry of Advanced Education.

For specific information, please consult our policy Accommodation of Students with Disabilities (93), available on the UFV website.

Do accommodations give students with a disability an unfair advantage?

No. Accommodations are based on the functional limitations of the disability and the academic environment. The purpose is to provide the student access to courses, programs, and academic material by minimizing or eliminating the impact of the disability. Accommodation plans are designed to level the playing field, not provide an advantage.

I received a green Exam Accommodation Request form. What do I do with this?

This form is the means by which students with disabilities receive their exam-related accommodations through CAS. Instructors and students should work together to complete and sign the form which will then be submitted to the front desk staff in Student Services. It is important to fill in all parts of the form and return it no later than 7 business days before your exam. If you submit an incomplete form, we cannot schedule the exam.

How does the Centre for Accessibility Services receive a copy of the test or exam?

Upon receiving the Exam Accommodation Request form from the student, the instructor and student will receive email confirmation of the exam. The instructor can deliver the exam to the appropriate Centre for Accessibility Services office via email, intercampus mail, or place a copy in the lock boxes available at Faculty Reception. Please aim to submit your exam no later than two days before the exam. Emailed exams can be submitted either in Word or PDF formats.

I've been debating which book to use for my class but the Centre for Accessibility Services requests my selection ASAP. Why?

Students may have the opportunity to have their texts produced in alternate format by CAPER-BC in order to provide equal access to print materials. Production of alternate format texts takes time. By delaying the selection of textbooks, the student may not be able to get their texts in time to start the class and are put at a significant disadvantage in keeping up with readings, lectures, and classroom activities.

Contact Us