Why choose the Bachelor of General Studies?
The Bachelor of General Studies is a degree program that is versatile, interdisciplinary, and flexible. The BGS can be customized to suit different educational and career goals and students can select courses from any UFV discipline. Students can focus studies on one or two areas, or complete courses from many areas. While there are some courses that provide the framework for the degree, the program provides an opportunity for students to define their education. This program is perfect for the self-directed learner because it allows them to link individual interests and abilities to career goals.
The BGS program accepts credits from certificates, diplomas, and associate degrees from accredited community colleges and universities. The program allows students to build on their previous credentials or to use these credentials to accumulate credits toward the degree.
Some students who currently are enrolled in the program include:
• students who are diversifying to acquire a broad educational background;
• students who intend to become elementary school teachers;
• students whose educational or career interests have changed or who changed institutions partway through their programs;
• students whose main interest lies in a subject area in which UFV does not offer a major;
• students who want to do a sizeable portion of their courses online;
• students who have created a specialized thematic focus to their studies;
• students who are combining minors in a customized way.
Find out more...