|Position||Associate Dean of Faculty, College of Arts|
|Department||The College of Arts|
|Contract type||100% full-time, 5 year excluded appointment|
|Start date||The appointment will begin August 1, 2018|
|Review date||January 19, 2018|
|Salary scale||Appropriate placement on the Excluded Salary Scale|
|Closing date||January 19, 2018|
The University of the Fraser Valley is nationally recognized for its commitment to teaching excellence, community relevance, and Indigenization. With over 100 programs, from graduate and undergraduate arts, science, and professional degrees, to trades and technical education, university preparation, and continuing education UFV is the school of choice for over 15,000 students.
This opportunity is open to all UFV ‘B’ faculty members within the College of Arts. In Arts, we strive for creative, innovative and collaborative leadership directed toward UFV’s strategic vision with student and community success at its heart. We are committed to the process of indigenization of the university.
The College of Arts is made up of the Faculty of Social Sciences and the Faculty of Humanities with circa 130 permanent faculty and 21 support staff. Under the direction of the Dean, the Associate Dean of Faculty will assist the College of Arts in the attainment of UFV's Strategic, Education and Foundation Plans. As a member of Dean’s Caucus, Dean’s Council and the Provost’s Council on Student Success, the Associate Dean of Faculty will contribute to and represent senior administrative decisions.
The Associate Dean of Faculty will:
• Cultivate and support faculty success as a basis for providing the best undergraduate education in Canada;
• Support faculty to become excellent teachers, academic citizens and scholars;
• Assist the Dean with hiring, probationary evaluations and rank and tenure applications;
• Review faculty expertise and performance with respect to teaching, scholarship and service;
• Review and support faculty members' annual workload plans and faculty scholarship and sabbatical applications and reports;
• Work closely with the Dean, the Associate Dean of Students and the Manager of Academic and Administrative Services in
• Liaise with administrators and all divisions responsible for faculty development and review;
• Support faculty in developing their academic leadership abilities; and
• Provide leadership on a number of institutional committees.
Preference will be given to candidates with a terminal degree. The successful candidate will be able to provide evidence of:
• A minimum of three years of successful administrative experience at the post-secondary level;
• A high level of personal and professional integrity, a strong sense of ethics, and respect for privacy and confidentiality;
• An ability to establish priorities and achieve objectives;
• Collaborative leadership;
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication and the ability to lead group discussions;
• Reasoning skills for research and analysis of data and information for the purposes of sound decisions;
• Knowledge of, and experience with, academic governance;
• Experience in promoting and evaluating professional development;
• Knowledge of the Collective Agreement and, preferably, experience with labour negotiations;
• Distinguished achievement in the discipline and/or scholarship on teaching practice; and
• Substantial leadership contributions in service.
Applications should be submitted by January 19, 2018, along with curriculum vitae, referring to Posting #2017.157 to:
University of the Fraser Valley
33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 7M8
Tel: (604) 854-4554 Fax: (604) 854-1538 Website: www.ufv.ca
Email resumes and cover letter to: email@example.com
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.