Back to Job postings
||Project Manager, ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
||Information Technology Services (ITS)
||100% full-time, Excluded, 3-year term
||Three (3) year term
||As soon as possible after closing date
||December 18, 2017
||For information, please contact Lisa Kwak (email@example.com or 604-851-6353)
||December 18, 2017
The University of the Fraser Valley is nationally recognized for its commitment to teaching excellence, community relevance, and Indigenization. With over 100 programs, from graduate and undergraduate arts, science, and professional degrees, to trades and technical education, university preparation, and continuing education UFV is the school of choice for over 15,000 students.
The Selection Advisory Committee will begin reviewing applications on December 18, 2017; however, the position will remain open until filled.
Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, the Project Manager will lead the initiation, planning, execution, monitoring, and closing of major business and technology projects at UFV, including a critical Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) upgrade. This role will supervise a temporary project team of 5-15 employees consisting of IT professionals and business users from multiple departments throughout the University. The Project Manager will be responsible for overseeing the successful implementation of both technology and business process changes, providing status updates to business leadership and steering committees, as well as provide performance management for the team. As technical and administrative lead for all aspects of a major ERP upgrade (Finance, Student Information System, Human Resources, and Payroll), the Project Manager will work closely with dedicated subject matter experts and teams from business units, external solution providers, and consultants, facilitating and coordinating all technical and business aspects of the ERP upgrade project. The Project Manager will also establish and oversee quality control throughout the project life cycle and will lead and facilitate business processes re-engineering and realignment, engaging with senior business stakeholders at UFV.
The Project Manager’s key responsibilities include:
Management and Supervision
- Direct and coordinate a cross-functional team to ensure project scope and milestones are delivered within project parameters
- Assign individual responsibilities, identify appropriate required resources needed, and develop work packages and schedules to ensure timely completion of projects
- Ensure project team members have the tools and training required to perform effectively and provide the team with constructive feedback as it pertains to project delivery and performance
- Balance workload, provide technical and analytical guidance and work direction to project team, including scheduling, assignment of work, review of project efforts, and removal of roadblocks which may inhibit project success
- Create and maintain a well-structured project plan, including scope, schedule, and cost baselines, risk management plan, change management, and communication management plans
- Working with the CIO and Manager of IT Applications, develop technical guidelines and processes to support upgrade of UFV’s ERP system (Banner 9.x) based on best practices and industry standards
- Develop a schedule for project completion that effectively allocates the resources to the activities and review the project schedule with senior management and all other stakeholders that will be affected by the project activities; revise the schedule as required
- Lead technical assessment to determine requirements, feasibility and effort estimates for baseline customizations, configurations and system integration points
- Determine the objectives and measures upon which the project will be evaluated at its completion
Execution and Monitoring
- In consultation with the functional managers, acquire staff with appropriate skills for the project tasks and review the quality of the work completed with the project team on a regular basis to ensure project standards are met
- Execute and monitor the project according to the project plans, including Change Management, Risk Management, and Communication Management plans, while ensuring continuous alignment with the mission and initial objectives of the project
- Take a lead role in all aspects of change management for the project, including communications, training, and other user adoption initiatives
- Update project plans, schedules, and budget to ensure the project remains within agreed upon scope, schedule, cost, and quality throughout each phase of the project, ensuring all project issues are identified, prioritized and adequately addressed in a timely manner to avoid schedule delays and scope creep
- Identify and manage project dependencies and monitor critical path through entire project life-cycle
- Manage, track, and advise on key performance indicators and metrics that define the overall project health
- Ensure high level of quality of solutions. Lead Quality Assurance, including unit and regression testing, as well as performance and user acceptance tests
Communication and Documentation
- Advise the Change Advisory Board (CAB) on maintenance, changes, and issues impacting the ERP availability
- Interact at the executive level, successfully addressing stakeholders across the enterprise. Enable and enhance communications between a matrix of IT and business teams to ensure business needs are clearly understood and the technology implemented meets the business needs
- Proactively monitor and control all aspects of the project and produce status reports to various constituent groups, including project financial reports, schedule status, risks, issues, dependencies, team cohesiveness and performance, client satisfaction, barriers to success, and overall project health
- Lead and assist in developing testing maps, workflow diagrams, and reporting documentation for new ERP system and maintain project documentation repository
- Ensure that project files are properly maintained and kept updated
- This position has regular exposure to highly confidential information and the successful applicant must have the ability to use tact and discretion at all times when dealing with confidentiality
Closing and Project Evaluation
- Ensure project deliverables are on time, within budget and at the required level of quality, and obtain business stakeholder sign-off
- Evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase
- Recommend and lead corrective action based on qualitative and quantitative information to address issue log and any outstanding gaps
- Provide recommendations on roll-out and roll-back ensuring adherence to software best practices
- Plan and execute phased production releases, including transition to operations
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Business, or another relevant discipline. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Understanding of enterprise architecture and strategic planning principles
- Familiarity with project management software and strong working knowledge of IT project management principles, techniques, and practices with a focus on software implementations
- Experience in higher education and PMP certification is preferred; CMMI, ITIL, Six Sigma, Scrum/LEAN, and/or ISO certification is desirable
- Client collaboration experience and experience in simultaneously managing multiple projects and working with cross-functional teams
- 5+ or more years of project management experience, with a proven track record of successfully delivering large-scale, enterprise technology projects with budgets greater than $1M
- Minimum 2 years in a supervisory role
- Ability to mentor and coach staff, and act as a manager for the temporary project team
- Experience in facilitating business re-engineering discussions with senior enterprise stakeholders
- Knowledge of Higher Ed business processes and internal controls, including Student and Finance areas, and ERP systems such as Banner by Ellucian is a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, analytical and problem solving skills with exceptional attention to detail and an understanding and ability to exercise discretion regarding sensitive or confidential issues
- Ability to identify and use appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Demonstrated strong negotiating, planning, team building, coaching, financial, and risk management skills
- Experienced in business process streamlining/optimization
- Proven consensus-building skills and a track record of success in working with diverse technical and cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity and diversity and proven ability to deal effectively with a diverse workforce
- Integration experience across multiple platforms, applications, and ERP's
- A good understanding of emerging technologies
- Strong proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Outlook
- Knowledge of code repository and release management tools an asset
- Knowledge of Unix, Linux OS, and Oracle database software is an asset
- Capable of translating and communicating technical concepts into practical business terms for all levels of the organization
How to apply
Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check.
Direct resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications referring to Posting #2017.202 to:
Find out how to prepare your application
University of the Fraser Valley
33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 7M8
Tel: (604) 854-4554 Fax: (604) 854-1538 Website: www.ufv.ca
Email resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- In order to be environmentally and fiscally responsible, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Short-listed candidates may undergo a criminal record check and/or a verification of their education credentials, as required.
- Shortlisted applicants for staff positions will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.
Back to Job postings