Back to Job postings
||Systems Analyst I
||Information Technology Services
||Staff, 100% full-time, Permanent
||As soon as possible
||May 14, 2019
||$4,938.54 - $5,805.43 per month (Staff pay group 10)
The University of the Fraser Valley (UFV) is nationally recognized for its emphasis on teaching excellence, experiential and applied education, community engagement, and Indigenization. UFV is the school of choice for over 15,000 students. With six campuses and centres, UFV offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, and professional studies, as well as trades and technology education, university preparation, and continuing education.
At UFV, we are dedicated to changing lives and building community. Our educational goals are to prioritize learning everywhere; be flexible and responsive; collaborate across boundaries; develop local and global citizenship; and integrate experiential learning. A British Columbia “Top Employer”, we are committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive and dynamic learning and working environment that is fair and respectful of everyone. Our culturally diverse employee and student populations reflect the local, national, international and Indigenous communities we serve. If you see yourself as a lifelong member of a community that values and nurtures innovation and creativity, cultivates leadership and citizenship, and where success builds on success, you belong at UFV.
The Office of the CIO (OCIO) comprises the IT Services (ITS) and Business Transformation Office (BTO). The unit is experiencing a period of exciting transformation and growth with the goal of improving the technology experience and service delivery to UFV’s students, faculty, and staff.
Reporting to the Manager, IT Applications, the Systems Analyst I will contribute as part of a team to the Tier 2 and Tier 3 technical support of UFV’s enterprise database environments and software systems, many of which must be available on a 24/7 basis.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Systems Analyst I will liaise with various client groups, software developers, system administrators, service and operations staff, vendor partners, and management to facilitate the information gathering, analysis, diagnosis, solution design, development, and remediation of information system issues. Systems may include business applications (ERP), interfaces and integrations, reports, tools, customizations, and workflows. Increasingly, focus for this team will be on analyzing, understanding, and creating system integration layers and API development to allow the university’s many systems to exchange data.
This position frequently interacts with vendors, client areas, and ITS staff to coordinate and conduct system upgrades, outages, and changes, and contributes to online support documentation for client areas and internal ITS business processes and systems, and may occasionally manage projects.
Develops & Maintains Infrastructure for Enterprise Systems
- Works with both technical and non-technical staff to perform analysis of business requirements in order to provide recommendations and create technical specifications required to select, develop, and implement solutions with the greatest benefits and lowest risk and cost.
- Independently and in collaboration with senor technical and business transformation office staff, analyzes, plans, develops, implements, integrates, tests, and documents minor/major system enhancements for new and existing enterprise information systems to meet the business requirements of the university.
- Follows established processes and protocols for the development of code, project planning and management, and change management (CAB) activities.
- Creates and maintains technical and functional documentation for first-level support staff, colleagues, and clients.
- Coordinates testing of new/existing information systems with clients to ensure solutions are tested sufficiently.
- Develops front-end user interface, processes, integrations, workflows, and/or database solutions which satisfy the business needs of the university.
- Plans, manages, and executes system upgrades to ensure technical currency of UFV’s information systems.
Troubleshoots & Repairs Enterprise Systems
- Communicates with clients to determine source of problems and associated details.
- Assists clients in determining if problem is due to improper use of system, system failure, or improper design.
- Diagnoses and corrects problems in consultation with vendors and other technical staff where appropriate.
- Develops and presents decision brief documents to ITS leadership including recommendations and justification for approach.
- Updates relevant documentation/wiki once resolution has been implemented.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of enterprise systems, concepts, and technology in order to improve efficiency, enhance problem solving, and spark innovation within the team.
- Participates in on-campus and external committees and working groups (e.g. BCNET, CUCCIO) to help share strategies to address shared challenges.
- Attends courses, seminars, conferences, and vendor exhibitions in order to stay current with industry and technological advancements, learn about first-hand experiences and case studies.
- Studies documentation, manuals, trade publications, and electronic discussion lists to keep up to date with, and to enhance understanding and knowledge of new procedures, software, hardware, and databases.
Please note system maintenance is usually required to be performed off-hours and major issues are responded to on a 24/7 basis. This position will also perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or other relevant discipline. Project Management, Lean, Change Management, or similar certification or training an asset.
- Minimum three (3) years of related experience including a minimum of two (2) years of experience in the supporting, administration, and development of enterprise-level software applications, databases, and systems.
- Experience designing, building, installing, configuring, and supporting applications on Linux and Windows operating systems.
- Experience and understanding of web/application servers such as Oracle Fusion Middleware, Tomcat, and Apache preferred.
- Familiarity with university business/enterprise applications including: Ellucian Banner, Blackboard Transact, The Raiser’s Edge, CAS, Blackboard an asset.
- Familiarity with project management methodology and processes an asset.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Proven ability troubleshooting system performance issues.
- High degree of attention to detail including the ability to understand complex technical concepts and the need to maintain broad and in-depth technical knowledge of all aspects of enterprise systems and software.
- High level of problem solving abilities to effectively identify and resolve unusual and highly complex technical problems.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities and work under pressure to meet time sensitive and mission critical deadlines in a complex environment.
- Ability to take initiative and work with limited direction.
- Ability to work collaboratively with technical and functional teams.
- Ability to provide technical assistance and advice to peers and the user community.
- Ability to successfully contribute to complex projects: developing project work plans; monitoring tasks to a plan.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work outside of normal working hours on an emergency or pre-scheduled basis.
How to apply
The Selection Advisory Committee will begin reviewing applications on May 14, 2019; however, the position will remain open until filled.
Direct resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications referring to Posting #2019.89 to:
Email application to:
Find out how to prepare your application
University of the Fraser Valley
33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 7M8
Phone: (604) 854-4554
Fax: (604) 854-1538
- We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- In order to be environmentally and fiscally responsible, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Short-listed candidates may undergo a criminal record check and/or a verification of their education credentials, as required.
- Shortlisted applicants for staff positions will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.
Back to Job postings