Back to Job postings
||Analyst I, Security
||Information Technology Services; Office of the CIO
||Staff 100% full-time, Permanent
||As soon as possible after closing date
||$4,938.54 - $5,805.43 per month (Staff pay group 10)
||August 16, 2019
The University of the Fraser Valley (UFV) is nationally recognized for its emphasis on teaching excellence, experiential and applied education, community engagement, and Indigenization. UFV is the school of choice for over 15,000 students. With six campuses and centres, UFV offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, and professional studies, as well as trades and technology education, university preparation, and continuing education.
At UFV, we are dedicated to changing lives and building community. Our educational goals are to prioritize learning everywhere; be flexible and responsive; collaborate across boundaries; develop local and global citizenship; and integrate experiential learning. A British Columbia “Top Employer”, we are committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive and dynamic learning and working environment that is fair and respectful of everyone. Our culturally diverse employee and student populations reflect the local, national, international and Indigenous communities we serve. If you see yourself as a lifelong member of a community that values and nurtures innovation and creativity, cultivates leadership and citizenship, and where success builds on success, you belong at UFV.
The University of the Fraser Valley is embarking on a major investment in its technology landscape, with corresponding expansion, revitalization, and reinvention of its infrastructure, systems, service management protocols, and project delivery methodology. Under the direction of the Chief Information Officer, UFV is redesigning the IT Department’s organizational structure and adding staff in both the frontline and management realms, aligning with the needs of the university.
As the delivery and support of education becomes more digital, the university’s network becomes more critical to UFV achieving its strategic goals. Delivering digital content in the classroom, bridging online and in-person courses, the ongoing migration to cloud-based solutions, and learning everywhere, UFV must be supported by a highly available, fully functional network architecture.
UFV Information Security is responsible for the establishment of and assessment against Information Security architecture policies, standards, and guidelines to ensure that systems are designed and built in a manner that minimizes security and compliance risk while ensuring UFV’s business needs are met. Working with the Information Security Architect, the Security Analyst’s primary mandate is to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of IT assets and data University wide.
- Operational administration and maintenance of the university’s IT security applications and plans
- Daily system monitoring of computer systems and networks for issues
- Investigate suspected security issues, identify root cause, and determine if caused by security breech or another incident. Perform initial assessment of exposure scope
- Monitor email gateways, and respond to 'phishing' emails and 'pharming' activity; provide advice and guidance to staff on issues such as spam and unwanted or malicious emails
- Work independently, or with stakeholders, to install security components to protect systems, and information infrastructure, including anti-malware agents, monitoring, and other programs
- Conduct security assessments, including testing of processes, system and application vulnerability testing and risk analysis
- Identify potential weaknesses and offer recommendations to remediate vulnerabilities to the Information Security Architect
- Provide first level troubleshooting and resolution for security systems including, end point security software, third party security systems/applications and cross-functional issues requiring collaboration
- Perform operational administration of various security applications including, WAF, SIEM, SCCM, SCOM, Email Gateway, Endpoint Anti-Malware, Firewall, and IDS
- Working with the Information Security Architect, system administrators, and owners to remediate security issues, and document security incidents.
- Monitoring of SIEM and security systems for alerts and anomalies
- Change and configuration management
- Upgrades, patches, performance and usage issues on security systems
- Documentation of processes including counter-measures or mitigating controls
- Assists with the creation, maintenance and delivery of cyber security awareness training
- Develops security awareness by providing orientation, educational programs, and on-going communication
- Prepares written technical documentation for processes, procedures and standards
- Collaborates with other departmental staff regarding cross-functional processes, procedures and standards
- Assists various internal UFV client communities with security related questions, issues, and problems
- Liaises with internal UFV clients to maintain and improve security on a variety of business systems, applications, processes, and procedures.
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field
- Certifications such as CISSP, Security+, or GSEC; from ISACA, ISC2, or similar body
- Information Technology recognized training (e.g.; OFFSEC, SANS, security vendor)
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in Information Technology, with experience working with security applications. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Demonstrated knowledge of IT security principles, practices, technologies and procedures
- Operational experience with the following: Security Event Monitoring (SIEM), enterprise endpoint management, Web Application Firewalls (WAF), endpoint anti-malware, DLP and HIPS, Intrusion Prevention (IDP), firewall management
- Demonstrated expertise in the following: Linux administration, Microsoft Server administration, Networking technologies, Active Directory/LDAP
- Demonstrated understanding of the following: technical capability of security components, vulnerability assessment, authentication techniques, security attack pathologies, risk assessment procedures
- Understanding of the cyber security risks associated with various technologies and ways to protect against, or mitigate risk
- Working knowledge of various security technologies such as network and application firewalls, host intrusion prevention and anti-virus
- Excellent IT skills, including a passion for cyber security, knowledge of computer networks, operating systems, software, hardware and security
- Ability to work as part of a team and to build strong relationships with staff and other relevant individuals
- Verbal communication skills, including excellent presentation skills
- An ability to communicate with a range of technical and non-technical team members and other relevant individuals
- Excellent written communication skills, technical report writing is an asset
- Time-management and organizational skills to manage a variety of tasks, prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail, analytical skills and an ability to analyze complex technical information in order to identify patterns and trends
- Ability to work under pressure, particularly when dealing with threats and at times of high demand.
How to apply
Direct resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications by August 16, 2019, referring to Posting #2019.195 to:
Email application to:
Find out how to prepare your application
University of the Fraser Valley
33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 7M8
Phone: (604) 854-4554
Fax: (604) 854-1538
- We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- In order to be environmentally and fiscally responsible, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Short-listed candidates may undergo a criminal record check and/or a verification of their education credentials, as required.
- Shortlisted applicants for staff positions will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.
Back to Job postings