Back to Job postings
|| Administrative Assistant, Dean's Office, College of Arts
||Dean's Office, College of Arts
||Excluded; 100% full-time, Permanent
||As soon as possible
||August 20, 2019
||Appropriate placement on the excluded salary scale
The University of the Fraser Valley (UFV) is nationally recognized for its emphasis on teaching excellence, experiential and applied education, community engagement, and Indigenization. UFV is the school of choice for over 15,000 students. With six campuses and centres, UFV offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, and professional studies, as well as trades and technology education, university preparation, and continuing education.
At UFV, we are dedicated to changing lives and building community. Our educational goals are to prioritize learning everywhere; be flexible and responsive; collaborate across boundaries; develop local and global citizenship; and integrate experiential learning. A British Columbia “Top Employer”, we are committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive and dynamic learning and working environment that is fair and respectful of everyone. Our culturally diverse employee and student populations reflect the local, national, international and Indigenous communities we serve. If you see yourself as a lifelong member of a community that values and nurtures innovation and creativity, cultivates leadership and citizenship, and where success builds on success, you belong at UFV.
As a member of the College of Arts leadership team, the position provides administrative assistance and support for the Dean’s Office, College of Arts and specifically to the Dean, two Associate Deans, and Manager.
Human Resources/ Academic Support
- Works in a confidential capacity in matters that include those related to human resources (hiring, evaluations, tenure and promotion, employment contracts, staffing coordination, etc.,) and College of Arts’ administration
- Handles confidential employee issues, documents, and files
- Supports Program Reviews in conjunction with the Dean or Associate Dean of Students, and Manager
- Manages a variety of meetings and events and in conjunction with the Dean, Associate Deans, and/ or Manager, coordinates / organizes College events and College committees via the Committees Assistant, and supports UFV institutional events
- Represents the College on internal committees, and represents the university appropriately to external agencies and officials
- Serves as the UFV Convocation Liaison and represents the College as a key member of Team Convocation
- Prepares agenda, manages submission of papers, reports and information, attends planning meetings, minute taking and follow up etc., as required.
- Provides confidential administrative assistance to the Dean, and Associate Deans (of Faculty; of Students), and Manager as required including calendar/ appointment scheduling, handling enquiries, preparing/ editing/ review documents, tracking projects and time-sensitive issues/ requests etc.
- Ensures timely and effective communication between the Dean’s Office and Faculty Executive/ Council
- Handles all incoming correspondence and maintains records for the Dean’s Office
- Manages arrangements for Deans' travel and incoming guests of the Deans
- Acts as initial contact of internal and external enquiries and exercises judgment and discretion with confidentiality when dealing with requests and information; refers to other areas/individuals where appropriate
- Maintains current records of Dean’s Office contacts and information
- Manages office equipment, supplies and materials.
- A two-year diploma or equivalent from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Minimum three years progressive office administration experience, preferably at a senior-level in a post-secondary environment
- Experience scheduling, supporting and coordinating a large number and variety of complex meetings, groups and committees is required
- Experience with formal agenda and minute preparation at a senior level; experience working for multiple senior administrators simultaneously
- Ability to take initiative in time-sensitive and confidential situations requiring tact, discretion, and diplomacy; excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Experience reflecting reliable and effective performance as a team member is also necessary
- Proven ability to work with minimal or no supervision, multi-task, and work to tight deadlines with conflicting priorities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe, Apple/ Mac platforms, and MS Outlook applications; proven organizational and time management skills
- Superior interpersonal, written, organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of UFV, its organization, governance and tenure and promotion processes is an asset
- Familiarity with College of Arts programs, policies and procedures is preferred.
How to apply
Direct resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications by August 20, 2019 referring to Posting #2019.196 to:
Email application to:
Find out how to prepare your application
University of the Fraser Valley
33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 7M8
Phone: (604) 854-4554
Fax: (604) 854-1538
- We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- In order to be environmentally and fiscally responsible, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Short-listed candidates may undergo a criminal record check and/or a verification of their education credentials, as required.
- Shortlisted applicants for staff positions will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.
Back to Job postings