February 5, 2021
Dr. Bonnie Henry has announced extended and updated orders to curb the spread of COVID-19. Some of these orders previously applied to UFV and the Fraser Health Region, but have now been rolled out to the rest of the province. The order came into effect November 19, 2020 at midnight and will be kept in place until further notice based on direction from the PHO.
The following existing and new orders apply:
- Masks – Non-medical masks or face-coverings are now mandatory in all public indoor settings and all retail stores. Masks must be worn in all UFV spaces except if alone in your private office or workspace. A face shield is not a substitute for a mask as it has an opening below the mouth. The mask requirement does not apply to those who are unable to wear a mask or put on/remove a mask on their own;
- Face-to-face classes continue – All face-to-face and remote classes will continue;
- Remote work – UFV faculty and staff should continue to work remotely wherever possible and should only come to a UFV campus for essential activities, for example, face-to-face teaching;
- Daily online assessment and submission – In adherence with COVID safety plans, faculty and staff members who are required to come to campus for essential activities must confirm that they have completed a Daily Self-Assessment Health Check each day they intend to be on campus. Steps to take:
- Complete the assessment.
- Before arriving on campus, send an email, text, or Teams message to your supervisor answering the following question: Have you completed the COVID self-assessment?
- Supervisors will respond confirming receipt of the message and will ensure that all employees on campus have completed their self-assessment.
- Social gatherings – A new order states no social gatherings of any size are permitted with anyone other than your household or core bubble. This applies to both indoor and outdoor spaces. A person who lives alone may have up to two other people visit if they are people with whom the person regularly interacts;
- Travel - Students, faculty, and staff are permitted to travel to campus for work, for face-to-face classes, and for other educational purposes, even if that means crossing health authority boundaries, however all non-essential travel should be avoided across BC;
- Athletics – UFV athletics has suspended training and practices for Cascades teams through the end of the fall term and exam period;
- Student assessment by faculty – Faculty are to remind students of their responsibility to self-assess their health for face-to-face activities on a daily basis using the Daily Self-Assessment Health Check. Faculty are asked to confirm with each student at the beginning of each class that this self-assessment has been completed and that the result does not recommend self-isolation and/or quarantine. Students who receive a recommendation to self-isolate and/or quarantine should immediately go home if they are already in class. No student is to be penalized for following health protocols;
- Adherence to COVID safety plans – All schools and departments must continue to strictly adhere to their Safety Plans daily. All existing preventative measures including physical distancing, hygiene, and mask recommendations remain in place.
The Provincial Health Officer’s announcement and the full orders are available on the official website of the Government of British Columbia.
Thank you for continuing to do your part in slowing the spread of this virus. Your efforts are appreciated very much and together we will get through this.