Back to Contact Us
1988-1989 Taught Histology and Developmental Biology at Acadia University
1989-1991 Assistant Professor of Veterinary Anatomy at University of Saskatchewan
1992-1996 Tenured Associate Professor of Veterinary Anatomy at University of Saskatchewan
1997-2001 Associate Professor of Biology at Wilfrid Laurier University
2002-2012 Tenured Professor of Biology at Wilfrid Laurier University
2012-Present Dean, Faculty of Science, UFV [UFV Today Article]
2016-2017 CSZ President
2016-2018 CCDS Executive
2009-20122 WLU Biology Department Chair
2010-2014 SIVB Board of Directors
2011 CSZ Parasitology Section Chair
Adjunct Professor of Biology at the University of Waterloo
2012 Honorary Professorship, Universidad Cesar Vallejo, Trujillo, Peru
2013 Adjunct Professor of Zoology at UBC
2016 Chair of the Fraser Valley Regional Science Fair
PhD 1989 (Cell Biology) University of Waterloo
MSc 1985 (Cell Biology) University of Waterloo
BSc 1983 (Honours) University of Waterloo
Non-invasive diagnostic techniques to monitor health of aquatic organisms and aquatic environments. Use of aquatic animal cell lines and invertebrate models.
Dr Lee's research is funded by NSERC (www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca) and her current research program involves the Development and use of fish cell lines as integrative tools for research in basic science, ecotoxicology, and aquaculture.
I am a fish cell biologist and my expertise is in developing fish cell lines for biomedical and biotechnological applications. Our research cover areas in fish physiology, aquatic toxicology, fish parasitology, fish health, fish nutrition and fish endocrinology. We also do work with invertebrate species and attempts are being made at developing marine aquatic invertebrate cell lines. Most recently, we are also interested in developing cell lines from agriculturally important invertebrates such as bees for apicultural health studies. ~ Lucy Lee
Read about Dr. Lee's Research Lab
'Like' the Lee Research Group on Facebook to stay up to date on Dr. Lee's research activities.
- Twenty years of research with the trout monocytic cell lines RTS-11, Austral University Chile, Interdisciplinary Centre for Aquaculture Research, January 16
- History, develoment and use of fish cell lines. Collagen forming fish cell lines and their use, Austral University Chile, Biochemistry and Microbiology Insitute, January 19
- Avoiding questionable journals/publishers, Semi-annual meeting of BC Deans of Arts and Science Programs, Kelowna, BC
- Fish cell lines as tools in fish health and environmental monitoring, UFV Microlectures, February 24
- The Korean gender gap & Moving Forward, International Women’s day, UFV SUB, March 8
- Open Access Journals and Predatory Publishers, BC Deans of Arts and Science meeting, Kelowna, BC, April 12
- Evaluating effects of neonicotinoid pesticides using fish cell lines. ToxTalks 2015, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC
- Survival through one of the top 10 deadliest earthquakes: Peru 1970, Abbotsford learning Plus, Abbotsford Recreation Centre, February 3
- Sustainability in the face of a megathrust earthquake, Green UFV talk and Discovery Speaker Series, UFV Geography, March 12
- Neonicotinoid pesticides and the Bees, Chilliwack Rotary Club, Chilliwack, BC, April 24
- Microsporidians. Intro to Mycology Guest lecture, BIO370, A261, UFV, September 30
- Goal 14: Life below water. UFV and the 2030 UN Sustainable Development goals. SUB, October 13
- Cascadia & Megathrust Earthquakes, Tapestry for thought presentation, UFV Elder College, Chilliwack, November 4
- Space waste monitoring and Sapphire, Cheam Probus (Chilliwack) January 23
- Oil sands and fish cell lines. Abbotsford Learning Plus, Abbotsford Recreation Centre, February 4
- Nosema and bees, fish and human health. Richmond Bee Club, BC, May 17
- Nosema: A story about bees, fish and human health. Maple Ridge Bee Keepers Association, BC, June 23
- Non-mammalian cell cultures to the rescue, how they can help apiculturists. Langley Bee Club, Langley, BC, September 2
- Sapphire and space junk , Tapestry for thought presentation, UFV Elder College, Chilliwack, November 19
- Development and applications of non-mammalian cell lines to biotechnology, aquaculture and apiculture. Physiology group, Dept of Zoology, UBC, January 23
- Sustainability in Space and Earth. UFV’s role with Sapphire. Green Speak Series, Centre for Environmental Sustainability, UFV, Abbotsford, BC, February 19
- Evaluating Toxicity and remediation strategies in oil sands process-affected waters using fish cell lines. Green Speak Series, Centre for Environmental Sustainability, UFV, Abbotsford, BC, April 2
- Potential contributions of non-mammalian cell lines to biotechnological advancements in agriculture and environmental sustainability. Discoveries Speaker Series, Geography Department, UFV, Abbotsford, BC, September 19
- Sapphire satellite and sustainability in space. Abbotsford Learning Plus, Abbotsford Recreation Centre, October 1
- Sustainability in space and the Sapphire Surveillance Satellite. Cheam Probus (Coast Hotel, Chilliwack) October 15
- Microsporidian Research, Guest lecture for Mycology BIO370, A255, UFV, November 4
- Scientific Investigation with Fish Cell lines. International Congress for Scientific Investigation. University of Cesar Vallejo, Trujillo, Peru, September 22
2013-2017 (Underlined names are those of my trainees)
- Bols NC, Pham PH, Dayeh VR, Lee LEJ. 2017. Invitromatics, invitrome and invitroomics: Introduction of three new terms for in vitro biology and illustration of their use with the cell lines from rainbow trout. In Vitro cell dev Bio Anim. (Ms # IVAN-D-16-00404R1, accepted Feb 6, 2017) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/etc.3603/epdf
- Lillicrap A, Belanger S, Burden N, Du Pasquier D, Embry M, Halder M, Lampi M, Lee LEJ, Norbert-King T, Rattner BA, Schirmer K, Thomas P. 2016. Alternative approaches to vertebrate ecotoxicity tests in the 21st century: a reveiw of developments over the last two decades and current status. Env Tox Chem. 35: 2637-2646 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/etc.3603/epdf
- Bloch SR, Vo NTK, Walsh SK, Chen CC, Lee LEJ, Hodson PV, Bols NC. 2016. Development of a cell line from the American eel brain expressing endothelial cell properties. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 52(4): 395-409. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11626-015-9986-8
- Lillicrap A, Belanger S, Burden N, Embry M, Lee LEJ, Leonard M (2016) Is the Fish Embryo Acute Toxicity Test Under Threat? A Perspective from the SETAC Global Animal Alternatives Advisory Group. SETAC Globe 17(8) http://globe.setac.org/2016/august/fet-test.html
- Smith RW, Wang JX, Mothersill C, Lee LEJ, Seymour C. 2015. Proteomic responses in the gills of fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas, Rafinesque, 1820) after 6 months and 2 years of continuous exposure to environmentally relevant dietary 226Ra. Int J Radiation Biol. 91(3): 248-256. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09553002.2014.988894?journalCode=irab20
- Vo NTK, Chen C, Lee LEJ, Lumsden JS, Dixon B, Bols NC. 2015. Development and characterization of an endothelial cell line from the bulbus arteriosus of walleye, Sander vitreus. Comparative Biochem Physiol-A 180: 57-67. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1095643314002256
- Vo NTK, Bender AW, Lee LEJ, Lumsden JS, Lorenzen N, Dixon B, Bols NC. 2015. Development of a walleye cell line and use to study the effects of temperature on infection by viral hemorrhagic septicaemia virus (VHSV) group IVb. J Fis Dis 38(2): 121-136. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jfd.12208/epdf
- Vo NTK, Mikhaeil MS, Lee LEJ, Pham PH, Bols NC. 2015. Senescence-associated β-galactosidase staining in fish cell lines and primary cultures from several tissues and species, including rainbow trout coelomic fluid and milt. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 51(4): 361-371. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11626-014-9837-z
- Gignac SJ, Vo NTK, Mikhaeil MS, Alexander JAN, MacLatchy DL, Schulte PM, Lee LEJ. 2014. Derivation of a continuous myogenic cell culture from an embryo of common killifish, Fundulus heteroclitus. Comparative Biochem Physiol A. 175:15-27.
- Vo NTK, Bufalino MR, Hartlen KD, Kitaev V, Lee LEJ. 2014. Cytotoxicity evaluation of silica nanoparticles using fish cell lines. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol–Anim. 50(5): 427-438.
- Sansom B, Vo NTK, Kavanagh R, Hanner R, MacKinnon M, Dixon DG, Lee LEJ. 2013. Rapid Assessment of the toxicity of oil sands process-affected waters using fish cell lines. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol.-Animal 49(1): 52-65.
- Scholz S, Sela E, Blaha L, Braunbeck T, Galay-Burgos M, García-Franco M, Guinea J, Klüver N, Schirmer K, Tanneberger K, Tobor-Kapłon M, Witters H, Belanger S, Benfenati E, Creton S, Cronin MTD, Eggen RIL, Embry M, Ekman D, Gourmelon A, Halder M, Hardy B, Hartung T, Hubesch B, Jungmann D, Lampi MA, Lee LEJ, Léonard M, Küster E, Lillicrap A, Luckenbach T, Murk AJ, Navas JM, Peijnenburg W, Repetto G, Salinas E, Schüürmann G, Spielmann H, Tollefsen KE, Walter-Rohde S, Whale G, Wheeler JR, Winter MJ. 2013. A European perspective on alternatives to animal testing for environmental hazard identification and risk assessment. Reg Tox Pharmacol 67(3): 506-530.
- Dayeh VR, Bols NC, Tanneberger K, Schirmer K, Lee LEJ. 2013. The use of fish derived cell lines for investigation of environmental contaminants – An Update following OECD’s fish toxicity testing framework n• 171. Current Protocols in Toxicology 56: 1.5.1–1.5.20.
Additional Research Publications 2001 - 2012
Conference Presentations (2014-2016)
- Lee LEJ, Yu E, Sidhu H, Rai G, Kobes K, Moghrabi K, Oberoi V, Alexander JAN, Bols NC. 2016. Evaluating phagocytic ability of RTS11-GFP, astably transfected sub-line of the monocytic/macrophage-like RTS11 cell line. 7th Annual North American Comparative Immunology Workshop, Charlottetown, PEI, June 2016.
- Pumputis PG, Dayeh VR, Lee LEJ, Bols NC. 2016. Developing in vitro assays for identifying feed additives to promote fish intestinal health. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol-Anim. World Congress for In Vitro Biology, San Diego, CA (S45), June 2016.
- Oberoi V, Rai GS, Mahil G, Bols NC, Lee LEJ. 2016. Evaluating Blueberry Extracts as Nutraceutical Additives for Future Fish-Feed Formulations Using a Fish Intestinal Cell Line. World Congress on In Vitro Biology, San Diego, CA, June 2016.
- Pham PH, Li JW, Ammendolia D, Pumputis PG, Lee LEJ, Bols NC. 2016. Prolonged survival but ultimate cell death of the rainbow trout macrophage cell line RTS11, under different starvation regimens. 2nd International Conference of Fish & Shellfish Immunology, Portland, ME, June 2016.
- Lee LEJ, Bols NC. 2016. Collagen producing fish cell lines and their use in biomedical research. In Vitro Cell Dev Bio-Anim. 14th International Conference for Invertebrate and Fish Cell Culture, San Diego, CA (S17), June 2016.
- Oberoi V, Alexander JAN, Moghrabi KH, Rai GS,Kobes KJ, Lee LEJ. 2015. Assessing toxicity of neonicotinoids in vitro and implications to non-target organisms. 17th International Symposium on Toxicity Assessment, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA, Aug 2-7, 2015.
- Rai GS, Oberoi V, Moghrabi KH, Bols NC, Lee LEJ. 2015. Blueberry extracts & antioxidants ameliorate sub-lethal effects of neonicotinoids on fish cells. 17th International Symposium on Toxicity Assessment, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA, Aug 2-7, 2015.
- Kobes KJ, Oberoi VS, Lee LEJ. 2015. Effects of neonicotinoids on the activity of fish cells. 57th London International Youth Science Forum, Imperial College, London, UK, Jul 22-Aug 5, 2015.
- Lee LEJ, Oberoi V, Kobes KJ, Moghrabi K, Rojas FD, Birks M, Saran H, Rai GS, Soni K. 2015. Neonicotinoid effects on fish and insect cell lines. In Vitro Biology Meeting. Tucson, AZ. June 1-3, 2015.
- Bols NC, Kawano A, Vo NTK, Pham PH, Lumsden JS, Lee LEJ. 2015. Development of a cell line from the gastrointestinal tract of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar that undergoes the stellation characteristic of myofibroblasts. 2015 In Vitro Biology Meeting. Tucson, AZ. June 1-3, 2015.
- Moghrabi K, Kobes KJ, Oberoi V, Rai GS, Rojas FD, Lee LEJ. 2015. Evaluating sublethal effects of neonicotinoids in non-target species: effects on fish cell lines. 54th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Zoologists, Calgary, AB, May 25-29, 2015.
- Oberoi V, Saran H, Saran MK, Moghrabi K, Rai GS, Bols NC, Lee LEJ.2015. Evaluating bioactivity of blueberry extracts and components with fish cell lines. 54th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Zoologists, Calgary, AB, May 25-29, 2015.
- Vo NTK, Gerlach BD, Curtis TM, Lee LEJ, Bols NC. 2015. Eyeing a research barrier: development of a walleye retinal epithelial cell line that expresses three classes of tight junction proteins. 54th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Zoologists, Calgary, AB, May 25-29, 2015.
- Oberoi V, Kobes KJ, Rojas FD, Birks M, Saran H, Lee LEJ. 2015. Evaluating effects of neonicotinoid pesticides using fish cell lines. February 7, 2015. ToxTalks’ 2015, SFU, Burnaby, BC.
- Alexander JAN, Saran MK, Kobes KJ, Rojas FD, Lee LEJ. 2014. Effects of neonicotinoid pesticides on fish cell lines and their use as predictors for acute and chronic toxicity to whole animals. 35th Annual meeting SETAC North America. Vancouver, BC, November 2014.
- Spiteri KWJ, Vo NTK, Alexander JAN, Saran MK, Kobes KJ, Lee LEJ. 2014. Disruption of Collagen Deposition in Vitro as a Potential Chronic Toxicity Assay. 41st Aquatic Toxicity Workshop. Ottawa, ON, October 2014.
- Lee LEJ, Spiteri K, Mak ASM, Vo NTK, Alexander JAN, Saran MK, Bols NC. 2014. Collagen forming fish cell lines and their use in fish physiology and toxicology. 11th International Congress on the Biology of Fish. Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK. Aug 3-7, 2014. Program p.141.
- Spiteri K, Vo NTK, Alexander JAN, Rojas F, Lee LEJ. 2014. Collagen synthesis by a novel fibroblastic cell line derived from caudal fin of adult yellow perch (Perca flavescens), and it’s use as an indicator of chemical exposure. 2014 World Forum in Biology (Joint meeting of the Society for In Vitro Biology and the Society for Cryobiology). Savannah, GA. May 31-June 4, 2014.
- Lee LEJ, Gignac SJ, Reid A, MacLeod M, Monaghan SR. 2014. Use of Non-Mammalian Cell Lines for the Study of Microsporidians. Genomes to Biomes Conference & 53rd Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Zoologists, Montreal, QC, May 25-29, 2014.
- Brennan LM, Widder MW, Trader DE, Lee LEJ, Van der Schalie W. 2014. Field portable impedance-based water toxicity sensor using fish cells on fluidic biochips. Pittcon, Chicago, March 2-6, 2014.
Back to Contact Us