If you are a UFV Geography alumni (or are an alumni working in a geography/ environmental/ planning field), we'd love to hear from you! Let us know how you're doing and where your degree has taken you, even if it's into a career you never planned for.
Our alumni are also among the most valuable career resources for students. If you would like to help current students and recent alumni make the transition, there are several ways you can help.
- Join the UFV Geography LinkedIn group and offer to provide tips and insight about careers, graduate school, etc.
- Let us know if you'd be interested in taking part in a department-sponsored networking or graduate school preparation event. Currently, GATE organizes events in Planning and Urban Studies (PLUS) (in November) and Environmental Careers (in March).
- Offer to serve as a resource for students who might have questions about jobs in a particular field. UFV is taking part in the 10,000 Coffees initiative, designed to connect current students and alumni.
- Take an active role in the UFV Alumni Association, which is working to develop even more programs that connect students with mentors.
- If you're working with a local firm, government agency, or organization, and could potentially work with internship or practicum students, connect with one of GATE's faculty members (probably one of your former instructors!).
- If you're working with a local firm, government agency, or organization, and are looking to develop a position for a Coooperative Education student, connect with the UFV Career Centre. The Centre also manages CareerLink, which posts jobs geared for students and recent graduates.
- Provide advice that we can use in on-line outreach materials and as part of the GATE Careers e-Guide!
If there are other ways you'd like to connect and help out, drop us an email at email@example.com!