Employee Tuition Assistance Program
Eligibility & general information
The University recognizes the value of general education for its employees. In order to encourage and support the pursuit of education, article 24.4 of the Collective Agreement allows employees to apply for additional tuition funds if they have already expended their In-service Professional Development funds and their Development & Training Allowance for the year towards the same plan as follows:
- Permanent, type B faculty (non-probationary or when a degree is a requirement of your probationary terms) - $3000.00 max. per year (pro-rated based on workload percentage)
- Permanent, type A staff (non-probationary) - $3000.00 max. per year (pro-rated based on workload percentage)
Application package & deadlines
There is limited amount of funds which we try to disperse to as large a group as possible. A complete education plan must be submitted with realistic outcomes and/or goals. The types of educational plans that this support are Masters, Ph.D and equivalent. programs for the faculty; and Certificate, Diploma and Undergraduate Degree programs for staff. The following information must also be included in your application package:
- Program of study
- Progress in the program, and how close you are to completing
- Value to the University of the Fraser Valley and to you personally
- How much funding you are requesting
- How many years you are requesting support for
- Any other points you feel are relevant (please limit to one page)
- Letters of support from your supervisor, department head, and dean
Complete application packages must be submitted to Human Resources by October 31 of each year for tuition in following fiscal year.
If approved, you will be sent an official approval agreement that you must sign and return. Your tuition will be reimbursed, but considered an advance of funds until the completion of your course(s) and you will have submitted an annual report to Human Resources which will include your grades.
Please note that if you do not complete your approved education plan and submit it to Human Resources within 30 days of the completion of your course(s), or you become unemployed by the University within one year from the end of the fiscal year in which funds were awarded, you will be required to reimburse UFV for the support you received from the Tuition Assistance Fund that year.