Faculty Sabbatical Leave Procedures
All Type B Faculty whether full-time or part-time at UFV are eligible for a sabbatical leave after seven (7) years of continuous service.
- Completed sabbatical leave applications must be submitted to Research, Engagement, & Graduate Studies and to Human Resources by November 30
- Duration of leave is one academic year (12 months)
- September 1st or January 1st start date
- Split sabbatical periods are not eligible
- One semester sabbaticals are not eligible
- Twelve month sabbaticals paid at 90% salary for 12 months
- Faculty may choose to top-up their salary during the 12 month period by using their banked sections
- Final reports are due 2 months after the end date of the sabbatical leave. If the leave is for the calendar year, ending December 31, the report is due February 28. If the leave is for the academic year, ending August 31, the report is due October 31.
- Faculty are not eligible to teach overload sections during the sabbatical leave period
- Sabbatical leave periods cannot overlap with other releases (i.e. Research Option/Scholarly Activity)
Faculty Sabbatical Leave Deferrals
Department Head Deferrals - Eligibility
Department Heads who are or become eligible for sabbatical during the term of office as department head may have their eligibility for a subsequent sabbatical reduced by a maximum of three years under the following conditions:
- A deferral request form must be submitted to and approved by the Dean and must include the date on which the sabbatical will be taken.
- Deferred sabbatical must be taken within two academic years of stepping down as head.
- Department Heads who do not take the deferred sabbatical within the two year period will lose eligibility for the reduction in the qualifying period for a next sabbatical.
- The sabbatical must be applied for and approved through the regular application process at the time it will be taken.
Regular Faculty Deferrals - Eligibility
Should multiple faculty members within a department become eligible for a sabbatical within the same year, the departmental plan shall be reviewed with the Dean to determine the appropriate sabbatical allocation.
Faculty members who are unable to take their sabbatical at the point that they qualify may have their eligibility for a subsequent sabbatical reduced by a maximum of one academic year under the following conditions:
- A deferral request form must be submitted to and approved by the Department Head and Dean. Except in the case of department heads, a deferral request must be submitted with a sabbatical application, and will be registered on approval of the sabbatical plan.
- Sabbatical must be taken within one academic year from original deferral.
- Faculty members who do not take the deferred sabbatical within the one year period will lose eligibility for the reduction in the qualifying period for a next sabbatical.
- The sabbatical must be applied for and approved through the regular application process before a deferral may be granted.
Faculty Sabbatical Leave Forms
◄ Faculty Sabbatical Leave