Skip to main content

Integrated Studies

Transfer into the BIS

Many students choose to transfer to UFV to complete their studies because the university allows students to use much of their previous education towards UFV credentials. Students in the Bachelor of Integrated Studies can complete up to 75% (90 credits) of their program through transfer and PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment). The Bachelor of Integrated Studies may also be completed as a subsequent degree.

What to Expect in the Transfer Process

UFV recognizes transfer credit from other public colleges and universities in BC and the rest of Canada through a process referred to as articulation. Individual courses are evaluated to determine if they are equivalent to courses offered at UFV. Information on how transfer to UFV works is provided by UFV’s Admissions office. Additional information on the transfer process is found in the UFV Calendar.

When transferring to UFV, you will need to provide transcripts from other postsecondary institutions attended. You will also need to meet the admissions requirements for the program to which you are applying. If you do not yet meet the admissions requirements for your desired program, you can still transfer to UFV through the Qualifying Studies pathway. Your previous academic credits will still be evaluated for transfer purposes.

If you are interested in learning more about how your postsecondary education can transfer into the BIS program, please book an appointment with an academic advisor. Please note that a full review of a student’s transfer credits cannot be completed until the student has applied to UFV and their transcripts have been received.

BC Transfer Guide

When courses from public and some private BC postsecondary institutions are evaluated, the transfer credits are entered into the BC Transfer Guide. Visit the BC Transfer Guide to see how individual courses will transfer to UFV. If you do not see a course in the guide, it is because UFV has not yet reviewed it. The course may still be eligible for transfer credit. You will be asked to provide a syllabus or course outline for the course to be reviewed for transfer credit.

Some types of courses and programs offered at other institutions may not receive academic credit through articulation. These include upgrading (pre-university) courses, continuing education programs, and some types of vocational training. Students with vocational or continuing education experiences may wish to consider if credit may be earned through PLAR.

UFV’s Bachelor of Integrated Studies program accepts any transfer credit recognized by UFV for use towards the degree.

Transfer from Private BC Public Colleges and Universities  

Some of BC’s private colleges and universities are part of the BC Transfer Guide system, and courses from these institutions will transfer through regular articulation processes. Examples include Trinity Western University, Alexander College, and Fraser International College. UFV also has agreements in place with several other private postsecondary institutions to allow for transfer into the Bachelor of Integrated Studies program. Please see Partnerships for Degree Completion for more details.

Transfer from Public Colleges and Universities in Other Provinces and Territories

The articulation process is also used to assess courses completed at institutions outside of BC. Students who have completed academic credits at Canadian public postsecondary institutions will need to provide their transcripts from these schools upon application to UFV. Students are also strongly encouraged to provide course outlines or syllabi for courses completed elsewhere, as this will help with the articulation process.

Transfer from Outside of Canada  

Transfer from schools outside of Canada is considered on a case-by-case basis. UFV has agreements with many international educational providers, and students transferring from these institutions may be eligible for transfer credit under these agreements. Transcripts and other supporting documentation will need to be provided in or translated into English for assessment purposes. Visit UFV Admissions for more information on the fees and processes involved in assessing international credentials.

Current Students: Recognizing Credits from Other Institutions

Current UFV students wishing to take courses at another institution while they are enrolled in the Bachelor of Integrated Studies will need to first complete a Letter of Permission request. Students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor prior to enrolling in courses at other institutions, to ensure that the course can be of use in their program.

Partnerships and Transfer Pathways

UFV’s Bachelor of Integrated Studies program offers a degree completion pathway for those who have completed professional training and academic programs at partner institutions and organizations. More information can be found in Partnerships for Degree Completion.

Recognizing Flight Training

UFV students who are pursuing or have attained pilot licenses (fixed-wing aircraft only) can request a credential evaluation for transfer credits. Credits are awarded for personal pilot’s license, commercial pilot’s license, multi-engine, instrumentation, and flight instruction. These credits can be used in the Bachelor of Integrated Studies as well as the BBA-Aviation and Aviation Diploma.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) 

Students may want to consider pursuing academic credit through the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) and/or course challenge process. In a PLAR review, students identify courses for which they feel they already meet the learning outcomes. They then compile and present evidence of having met course-specific learning outcomes. These outcomes can be found in the most recent versions of a course’s official outline, as found in the UFV Calendar.

Note that credits earned through the PLAR process are treated the same as transfer credits.

More information on PLAR and course challenges can be found on the PLAR website.

The Adult Education (ADED) Department also provides additional information on PLAR. Students with experiences specific to adult education should contact that department for more information on PLAR for ADED.

Before beginning the PLAR process, book an appointment with an academic advisor to review how PLAR can work in your program.

Subsequent Degrees

Students who have previously completed a bachelor’s degree can apply to UFV to complete a subsequent degree. The subsequent degree should represent a different focus of study from the first degree. The Bachelor of Integrated Studies is a popular pathway for subsequent degree students whose first degree was a 3-year credential, for those students who have returned to school to pursue a career as a K-12 teacher, and those who completed their first degree outside of Canada.

Subsequent degree students in the BIS program are required to complete 40 credits at UFV, and to meet all BIS degree requirements. Visit the Office of the Registrar for the subsequent degree request form.


Are you currently employed with McDonald’s?

Receive credits toward one of four credentials, including the General Studies diploma & the Bachelor of Integrated Studies through a new UFV-McDonald's partnership.

Learn more

Contact Us