You want your son or daughter to be healthy and happy as they pursue their love of sport; now you can help out on both counts.
What you need to know about concussions and the UFV Concussion Management Program:
- Concussions cause a combination of temporary and permanent damage to the brain.
- Cumulative effects of concussion have ended the careers of a number of amateur and professional athletes.
- Concussion has been linked to earlier onset of disorders such as dementia.
- When properly managed, the possibility of cumulative effects and lingering deficits can be dramatically decreased.
- The UFV Concussion Management Program consists of baseline testing, and if a concussion occurs, a three-step graduated return to physical and cognitive activity.
- Baseline testing is performed to provide a metric of an athlete's pre-injury functioning and is valid for a period of two years.
- The function of the Program is not to clear an athlete to play, but to provide a concise summary of test results for physicians directly involved in case management. The goal is a safe return to play for the athlete, not to prevent them from further participation.
- The only remedy for a concussion is TIME -- how much time can be determined by a precise and effective treatment strategy.
- Dr. Gaetz, director of the program, is an internationally recognized expert in the study of cumulative effects of concussion.
Contact us today about getting your son or daughter involved in the program.