- Official transcripts documenting completion of a baccalaureate degree from a recognized institution with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Evidence of meeting UFV’s English Language Proficiency policy.
- 2-page resume.
- 500-word Letter of Intent.
- 3 letters of reference which are optimally a mix of academic, professional, and practice.
Letter of Intent and resume includes evidence or details (include names of the organization, teacher, or supervisor where applicable highlighting the following:
The applicant should address all of the following in their (500-word page single-spaced) Letter of intent:
- Background in mindfulness or related activities, including what 8-week program you have completed and silent retreat experiences (NOTE: If planning to do these after starting, please indicate specific dates and programs).
- Interest and intention in applying the teaching and learning of mindfulness within a specific context.
- Professional background in the area in which the applicant intends to apply mindfulness teaching and learning.
- Experience facilitating groups.
- If applicable, any intention for certification as part of this program (e.g, as an MBSR or MBCT or another mindfulness teacher).
- If applicable, any intention for transfer of the certificate or credits into a graduate program with specific identification of your preferred program.
- If applicable, intention to apply for PLAR or special arrangements if the applicant doesn't meet previous degree or other requirements.
Letters of Reference
Note: Letters can be from any combination of academic, professional or personal referees.
Referees might address some of the following if known by them:
- The academic, professional, and/or facilitation skills of the applicant that are relevant to this graduate certificate.
- The ethical, personal, and interpersonal attributes of the applicant.
- The ability of the applicant to work with diverse and potentially traumatized clients or students.
- The ability of the applicant to work effectively in collaborative groups or teams.
- The work habits of the applicant and their ability to complete projects or assignments in a timely manner, even under stress.
- The overall preparedness of the applicant to handle a graduate certificate in mindfulness that includes practice, teaching or facilitation, and research.
1. that includes evidence or details of the applicant's experience with the following, including the name of the organization, teacher, or supervisor where applicable. Please highlight these areas so they are easy to identify:
o Teaching, facilitating, or leading groups in an employment or voluntary capacity
o Information concerning any 8-week mindfulness-based program* you've completed, including academic and non-academic courses at UFV, such as ADED 421, 422, 423 or CYC 275 or MBSR courses offered through Continuing Education,
o and/OR other experiences with mindfulness. Please specify if you have a daily practice and if you've completed any silent meditation retreats*.