Website forms, or web forms, are used to collect information from visitors to your web site(s).
Examples of common web forms:
- Request for more information
- Book an appointment
- Question forms
- Event based forms
- Marketing campaign forms
- Survey or feedback forms
Who can get a form?
Approved website content editors for the UFV.ca website make a request with email@example.com.
How can I get a new form?
For assistance with setting up a new form or obtaining access to an existing form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
How can forms be used?
The majority of forms live in web pages on the UFV.ca website.
Forms can be:
- Embeded within a section (page) in myWeb (T4)
- Linked to a web page with embeded form from a email newsletter, social media posting or marketing campaign.
Do not link directly to the form.
Why use UFV Forms?
The website software that powers the forms tool is managed 'in-house' at the University.
Data and information collected is stored on servers in the Abbotsford campus and no information is stored in the 'cloud'.
Working with IT Services, the University Relations myWeb Team :
- administers forms on behalf of departments,
- provides training as required
- oversees user access.
Guidelines & Best Practices with Web Forms
- Let people submitting information via forms know what you intend to do with their information.
- Provide a Privacy Notice when required (sample below). Collecting information from internal staff and faculty should not require this notice.
- Do not collect sensitive information by forms; credit card information, SIN, etc.
- Provide people information about how long they should expect a reply.
- Captchas or Skill-based questions (anti-bot security measure) are required on all forms.
- Export & backup your forms regularly as larger forms are exported and archived when exceeding 1000 records.
SAMPLE Privacy Notification
Your personal information is collected under the authority of section 26(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). This information will be used for the purpose of providing you with information about UFV programs. Questions about the collection of this information may be directed to --- ---, or by email at email@example.com.
More information on Privacy
What are reCaptchas and skill based questions
... and why do I need them?
reCaptchas and Skill based questions questions on protect forms from automated bots, abuse and spam. These are simple add-ons to forms that add an additional layer of form submission security.
All web forms on the UFV.ca websites should have a 'reCaptcha' or 'Skill Based Question' on the form.
- Website forms are to be used on the *.ufv.ca websites using the embed code for placing on to a web page.
- Forms are to be used by content editors for collecting information, general contact inquiries, recruitment, special events and marketing/promotional campaigns.
- Email or social media campaigns should link to a web page with the embed code, not to the form directly. Linking to a web page also provide additional statistics, metrics and analytics that are not provided from a link to a stand alone web form.
- Forms asking for personal information can be further secured by placing them behind a password protected area such as the myUFV portal. Employees, staff and faculty with a login will then be able to access the form. Contact the IT Services department for assistance with getting your form in myUFV
- Do not ask for credit card information via the web forms.
- ReCaptchas or security questions are required on all forms.
- Data collected from the forms are stored for 1 year or up to a maximum of 1000 records. Should the volume of data exceed 1,000 records, the myWeb team will archive your data in Excell format.
Should you required a form for your website or have additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.