IPS & IIS Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information
Canada’s three federal granting agencies—Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)—are now requiring that any applicant, co-applicant and College and Community Innovation Program participant on grant or scholarship applications consent to have some of their personal information disclosed in cases of serious breach of agency policy.
Therefore, a signed Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information form is now a requirement of all new IPS/IIS applications submitted to NSERC. A link to the form can be found in the overview section on the IPS program page on our website.
For further information, see the Frequently Asked Questions about the Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information.
NSERC Grant Opportunities
NSERC Discovery Grant
NSERC Discovery Grant NOI - Now mandatory
The Notification of Intent to Apply for a Discovery Grant is now mandatory. Please note the following:
- NOIs must be submitted directly to NSERC via the online system.
- NOIs must be received by August 1, 2016
- NOIs will not be accepted after the deadline.
- Applicants who do not submit an NOI by this date will not be eligible to submit the full application in November for the 2017 competition.
If you require further information, please contact Brad Whittaker.
Discovery Grants Program supports ongoing programs of research (with long-term goals) rather than a single short-term project or collection of projects. These grants recognize the creativity and innovation that are at the heart of all research advances, whether made individually or in teams. Researchers are free to work in the mode most appropriate for the research area.
Discovery Grants Program assists in:
- promoting and maintaining a diversified base of high-quality research capability in the natural sciences and engineering in Canadian universities;
- fostering research excellence; and
- providing a stimulating environment for research training.
Notice of Intent Deadline: August 1, 2016
Internal Application Deadline: November 1, 2016
Application Deadline: November 1, 2016
Please click here for application information and program details
NSERC Engage Grant
Engage Grants are designed to give companies that operate from a Canadian base access to the unique knowledge and expertise available at Canadian universities. These grants are intended to foster the development of new research partnerships between an academic researcher and a company that have never collaborated before, by supporting short-term research and development projects aimed at addressing a company-specific problem in the natural sciences or engineering fields.
Please note that applicants seeking funding for travel and meeting activities to establish contact with new potential industrial partners should apply for an Interaction Grant.
There is no deadline for the Interaction Grant and the Engage Grant.
Please click here for the application and more details.
SSHRC Insight Grant
The Notification of Intent (NOI) to apply for an Insight Grant is now mandatory. NOIs must be submitted directly by the applicants to SSHRC via the online system by the deadline (not announced yet - likely August). An applicant who has not submitted an NOI by this date will be ineligible to submit the full application in the October 2012 competition.
In addition to basic information, an applicant must submit a one-page Summary of the Proposed Research. This Summary must include:
- the objectives of the research
- the proposed methodology; and
- the anticipated significance and impacts of the proposed research.
The NOI form is now available on SSHRC's website at https://webapps.nserc.ca/SSHRC/faces/logon.jsp?lang=en_CA (this is the log on page for SSHRC grants).
The broad purpose of the Standard Research Grants program is to support research and develop excellence in research activities in the social sciences and humanities.
The specific objectives of the program are to:
- support high-quality independent programs of research, as proposed by scholars and judged by their peers;
- provide opportunities for the training of future researchers;
- contribute to the development or elaboration of new theoretical or methodological approaches to research;
- maintain and develop vigorous disciplinary research activities;
- foster and develop vigorous collaborative, multidisciplinary research activities among researchers in the social sciences and humanities; and
- assist the communication of research results both within and beyond the academic community.
This funding opportunity is replacing the SSHRC Standard Research Grant Program and offers support for long-term research initiatives. The maximum value of an Insight Grant is $500,000 over three to five years.
This new opportunity is open to both emerging and established scholars who are affiliated with an eligible Canadian post-secondary institution.
There is no NOI for this SSHRC competition.
Internal Application Deadline (to Research Office) - October 5, 2015
Application Deadline - October 15, 2015
Please click here for application information and program details
Multiple Grant Applications
Researchers may not apply for an Insight Grant and an Insight Development Grant within the same calendar year as applicant (principal investigator).
A researcher who applied for an Insight Development Grant in February 2011 may not apply for an Insight Grant in October 2011, whether successful in the competition or not.
A researcher who applies for an Insight Grant in October 2011 may apply for an Insight Development Grant in February 2012, provided that the objectives of the research are different.
There is no limit to the number of applications on which a researcher may be listed as a co-applicant or collaborator.
If a researcher holds a grant, she or he may submit a new application to the same funding opportunity in the final year of the grant.
Please consult SSHRC’s website at http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/policies-politiques/multiple_apps-demandes_multiples-eng.aspx for more information on multiple applications.
SSHRC Connection Grant
Connection Grants support events and outreach activities geared toward short-term, targeted knowledge mobilization initiatives. These events and activities represent opportunities to exchange knowledge and to engage on research issues of value to those participating. Events and outreach activities funded by a Connection Grant may often serve as a first step toward more comprehensive and longer-term projects potentially eligible for funding through other SSHRC funding opportunities.
There are four application deadlines throughout the year.
Next application Deadline: August 3, 2015
Please click here for more details.
SSHRC Partnership Development Grant (LOI)
Partnership Development Grants provide support over one to three years to teams/partnerships, led by a project director, to:
- develop research and related activities in the social sciences and humanities, including knowledge mobilization and the meaningful involvement of students and new scholars, by fostering new partnerships for research and related activities involving existing and/or potential partners; or
- design and test new partnership approaches for research and/or related activities that may result in best practices or models that either can be adapted by others or have the potential to be scaled up to a regional, national or international level.
Partnership Development Grant proposals are expected to respond to the objectives of the Insight program or the Connection program, or a combination thereof. Please click here for a table of the two programs objectives and more details of the program.
Submission Deadline: November 2, 2015
CIHR provides funding opportunities for four themes of health research:
- Health systems services
- Social, cultural, environmental and population health
With SSHRC transferring all health related research to CIHR, please take a look below for information on CIHR and newsletters.
CIHR has smaller partnership and catalyst grants that are ongoing. Please check here for a list of all open grant opportunities.